Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flashlight power and grow light power
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 15:50
Flashlight power and grow light power

I do not understand what to look for when buying a flashlight, is it the number of bulbs, type of bulbs, the wattage of the bulbs — the lumens etc…

What is the characteristic/attribute that I am looking for?

Also, as far as growing mint, and other herbs.. what is the truth behind the latest and greatest LED lights? How do I compare lights without trying them, I do not know what to look for.

If someone knowledgeable in the area could advise me, it’d be much appreciated

(Please don’t say go with HID lighting, as I’m trying to understand how to rate the lights, and based of which criteria do I make that determination)

Thanx
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 16:04

I’m thinking about a grow kit for my mom, but nothing too elaborate/bulky, — Just something better than the aerogardens, (which might be hard to do)

In addition to the questions above, I’m interested in a grow light fixture, something like this

[Edited on 5/2/2021 by Yttrium2]

EF917F44-7598-48FC-844D-6C763EF4CD69.png - 4.2MB
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 22:10

As far as I studied the matter ages ago when the new LED lights emerged, challenging HPS, the watt per gram ratio for productivity remained pretty much the reference. Hence, HPS seems to be still the best and the most economical growth light. The LED has remained pretty much the same, it has got a high luminous efficiency, and studies regarding the use of narrow band tuned LEDs to provide specific wavelengths ideal for plant growth show only limited effect.

The only major difference is that plants generally grow better under more cold tones, hence 7000k fluorescent lights are used, and during flowering phase, 2700k of HPS is preferred. The power needed also differs, a 125W growth light can be used for 600W hps crop.

Of course, it depends if the plants are for crop or for decoration.
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 12:42

And what about the flashlights?
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 13:53

I saw a paper once that suggested broadband lighting was better for plants. The study found that some apparently minor absorption peaks in photosynthesis had a strong synergistic effect with other wavelengths, arguing the case for broadband lighting covering all these minor peaks being better than targeting just the major peaks with narrowband lighting.

YujiLED make some great LEDs. I used their 98CRI LEDs for my wife's art studio lighting, and they really are very nice.

As for flashlights - what do you want in a flashlight? A tight, bright beam or broad area illumination?
For beam production you are better with a single LED, as it is much easier to form a beam from a small light source.
For area illumination multiple LEDs allow easier heat management.
Beyond that, more lumens= brighter light. Lumens per watt is also of interest, but unless you can look up the data for the specific LED used, you probably are not going to be able to find that figure. More lumens per watt means more use time out of a battery charge for a given light output.

[Edited on 2-5-2021 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings

Go To Top