Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potassium Chlorate - Yellow Colour Change
Chemgineer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2021 at 13:35
Potassium Chlorate - Yellow Colour Change

I've been electrolysing a solution of Muriate of Potash (fertiliser grade Potassium Chloride) after first filtering out all of the brown particulate. It works really well.

What i'm interested in is when I reuse the solution I can get a bright yellow colour after adding more KCL to bring it back to saturation. This fairly quickly goes colourless again once the electrolysis starts.

What could the colour be? I am wondering if this is Sodium Chlorate in solution from sodium impurities in my Muriate?

[Edited on 5-6-2021 by Chemgineer]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 6-6-2021 at 04:16

Quote: Originally posted by Chemgineer  

What could the colour be?

Chlorine in solution, most likely ─ from acid hydrolysis of some hypochlorite...

Chemgineer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2021 at 12:45

Thanks, that makes sense and then it releases as Chlorine gas once the electrodes get to work.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 4-7-2021 at 12:50

yellow color is due to potassium hypochlorite and usually with pH of 11 these cells operate at a high enough pH that considerable hypochlorite remains dissolved as the cell runs.
I hope you didnt add more KCl as your anodes were left unpowered in the cell or rather you never left your anodes unpowered in a cell if its MMO as that can lead to highly toxic RuO4 which is a deep yellow color being produced.
Chemgineer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-7-2021 at 13:00

Thanks for the explanation, I never leave electrodes in the cell unpowered so nor worries there. The yellow change happened literally while adding the KCL, it looks like i'm pouring a yellow liquid in so whatever it is reacts between KCL and my chlorate brine.

It clears up again once the cell is run for a few minutes.

Also last time I checked after adding KCL, PH test paper appeared to show the cell was around PH 5 or 6. (My test strip just stayed yellow.)

Go To Top