Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What are the best classes to take at university to gain knowledge on drug synthesis or energetics?
Muzzman111
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2021 at 01:59
What are the best classes to take at university to gain knowledge on drug synthesis or energetics?

I took a chemistry class for engineers that now allows me to take O-chem and I am interested but if taking that class wont get me anywhere in applicable knowledge I wont take it because I don't have to for my major. Am I better off just self teaching?

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2021 at 06:54

Depends on how good you are at organic chemistry and the level of the class.

If you are in doubt just take the class.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 21-10-2021 at 10:59

For drugs, you want a pharmacology class.
What it is called will depend on your school.
For colorado school of mines they have an chemical engineering 'Introduction to Pharmacology' as a 400 level course.
There are also Biochemistry courses, usually the biochemistry 2 starts in on drugs.
Advanced organic chemistry courses will have more pharmacology.
But that school is more engineering oriented, you really need a school that has a medical research program for advanced drug synthesis and development.

They are one of the few schools with a course on explosives in the US.
They actually get to blow shit up and get college credit for it.

MNGN222 INTRODUCTION TO EXPLOSIVES ENGINEERING
(S) A basic introduction to explosives engineering and applied explosives science for students that recently completed their freshman or sophomore years at CSM. Topics covered will include safety and explosives regulations, chemistry of explosives, explosives physics, and detonation properties. The course features a significant hands-on practical laboratory learning component with several sessions held at the Explosives Research Laboratory (ERL) in Idaho Springs. Students completing this course will be well prepared for more advanced work in MNGN333 and MNGN444. Prerequisites: PHGN100, CHGN121, CHGN122, MATH111, and MATH112. 2 hours lecture; 3 hours lab; 3 semester hours.

That school also has more advanced classes in Explosives MNGN333 and MNGN444.
brubei
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2021 at 11:45

If you like the dark side of drug synthesis and energetic chemistry, go to forensics sciences.

If you are interested in Pharmaceutical sciences and little skilled with OChem, Drug design/Medicinal chemistry are the best courses to understand how the chemists try to discover new drugs.

I'm French so excuse my language
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2021 at 21:41

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
For drugs, you want a pharmacology class.
What it is called will depend on your school.
For colorado school of mines they have an chemical engineering 'Introduction to Pharmacology' as a 400 level course.
There are also Biochemistry courses, usually the biochemistry 2 starts in on drugs.
Advanced organic chemistry courses will have more pharmacology.
But that school is more engineering oriented, you really need a school that has a medical research program for advanced drug synthesis and development.

They are one of the few schools with a course on explosives in the US.
They actually get to blow shit up and get college credit for it.

MNGN222 INTRODUCTION TO EXPLOSIVES ENGINEERING
(S) A basic introduction to explosives engineering and applied explosives science for students that recently completed their freshman or sophomore years at CSM. Topics covered will include safety and explosives regulations, chemistry of explosives, explosives physics, and detonation properties. The course features a significant hands-on practical laboratory learning component with several sessions held at the Explosives Research Laboratory (ERL) in Idaho Springs. Students completing this course will be well prepared for more advanced work in MNGN333 and MNGN444. Prerequisites: PHGN100, CHGN121, CHGN122, MATH111, and MATH112. 2 hours lecture; 3 hours lab; 3 semester hours.

That school also has more advanced classes in Explosives MNGN333 and MNGN444.

I think the university of new Mexico or albequerky (not sure that's spelled right)
Does shit with explosives out in the dessert.seen it on a MythBusters episode.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 22-10-2021 at 07:29

University of New Mexico has the nuclear engineering program.

UNLV has an explosives program.
UKy also has an explosives program.

There are certainly more but it is mostly the heavy mining states.
Because that is where most explosives are used.
Lots more colleges have basic explosive certification but that wouldn't cover the chemistry, just safety and practice.
Colleen Ortiz
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2022 at 03:45

First, you need to focus on this particular course only if you want to learn anything. Focus is one of the habits of highly successful students: https://mytutorsource.hk/blog/learning-habits-of-successful-... You can take Synthetic medicinal Chemistry which is a 3 credit hour subject. The goal of this course is to educate students on how to analyze structures and come up with new approaches to build them. The lecture will cover the most significant structures, reactions, and processes, as well as issues and themes in modern Organic Chemistry, with an emphasis on organic compound applications in medicine. The latest methodologies, the most up-to-date physiologically active compounds, and other intriguing molecules will all be discussed, as well as synthesis design and strategy.
This course focuses on the processes employed in the synthesis of organic molecules, with a special emphasis on medical and illegal drugs.
The course usually includes:
Natural compound synthesis in sufficient amounts
Analog synthesis, structure-activity relationships, and lead optimization are all used to improve the biological activity of lead compounds.
To determine the absolute stereo structure of natural substances, stereoselective total syntheses are used.
Candidate isotope-labeled for metabolic investigations
Synthesis of possible drug metabolites for confirmation and quantification
Synthesis of ostensibly biosynthetic intermediates in an attempt to better understand phytochemical biogenesis in plants.

Go To Top