Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Forgotten synthesis of rubies in an electric arc furnace by genius Henry Moissan.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 25-11-2021 at 15:04
Forgotten synthesis of rubies in an electric arc furnace by genius Henry Moissan.

Henry Moissan, in his famous and forgotten book - The Electric Furnace, has published, among other things, instructions for making rubies, I'm going to try it out, I'm sending instructions for my colleagues;)

Attachment: Rubies by Moissan..pdf (896kB)
This file has been downloaded 302 times

[Edited on 26-11-2021 by Admagistr]

[Edited on 26-11-2021 by Admagistr]
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 25-11-2021 at 18:08

I see many different takes on making rubies, i'd go with with the verneuil method for nice single crystals, but i'm curious nontheless c:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 26-11-2021 at 16:18

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
I see many different takes on making rubies, i'd go with with the verneuil method for nice single crystals, but i'm curious nontheless c:

The rubies of the Verneuil method are relatively inexpensive, large and beautiful, but they also have their problems-big tensions inside and therefore need to be cut in half before grinding and processing. They take the form of a pear, or a stalactite, and any jeweller under a microscope will know that they are synthetic very quickly and easily. The rubies created by the flux method are very similar to natural stones, they form real crystals, like natural ones, and the experts have worked very long and hard to find that they are synthetic, sometimes they are not even sure, and their final verdict is that they don't know if the stone is synthetic or natural...The price of the flux ruby is much higher than Verneuil's because it's expensive to make and takes a very long time and the price is sometimes close to natural stones...

Go To Top