Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemiluminescence, lab, and spectroscopy questions.
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2021 at 08:01
Chemiluminescence, lab, and spectroscopy questions.

So question regarding chemiluminescence. I already browsed the forum's chemiluminescence threads and took a couple of notes, but here's something I guess no 1 asked before.

1. What are the longest chemiluminescence? They seem to last only 30 seconds (then at like 10% brightness for the rest.). Has anyone made a table of some of the longest to shortest chemiluminescence? But I would like this answer from easy to buy household chemicals and buy on-line, rather than make.

For hydrogen peroxide and bleach chemiluminescence of red, is the concentration of H2O2 and NaOCl are higher, is directly proportional right? Or is it brightness proportional? Or both.

What about for chemiluminescence that changes color? I saved a Youtube link where purple light shortly changed to pink, so I now know that is possible. I can postthe Youtube vid later if anyone is interested.

2. Does anyone here run an analytical lab at home? And use instrumentation not used in a undergrad instrumentation course? Most common I guess for inorganic is HPLC, GC, UV-vis, etc.

I'd like to know if it's possible to buy something that runs the spectrum, say, from IR to UV light, to shine on something.

3. Zinc is a reducing agent. Anybody use pennies as reducing agents? A U.S. penny is 97.5% Zn.

4. Anybody do anything with dyes? In terms of chemiluminescence?

5. A pchem2 question: anyone got any good examples of anti-Stokes shifts? Stokes vs. anti-Stokes like something that absorbs IR and emits UV, or absorbs UV and emits IR. Or better yet absorbs UV or IR and emits light.

Quantum dots come to mind, but they are expensive. A hot topic in physics right now is quantum dots that absorb IR and emit light. Quantum dots are basically made of semiconductors. If there is something that can absorb microwaves and then emit light, that would be dope too.

And for some off-topic questions.

6. Anyone here generate their own electricity? By spinning a loop of wire over a magnet or whatever.

7. Anybody do anything with plants? Plants are O2 generations from CO2. Or use the chemicals from plants?

8. Little off topic but is there any useful applications to learning how to fix microwaves, or washing machines? Is there like a hierarchy where, if someone knows how to fix microwaves, then it is easy for them to learn how to fix a toaster, then, the other way around. A lot of girls especially Hispanic girls want men that know how to fix cars, especially the basic things, but it seems like nobody hires people to fix microwaves or washing machines, they'd just replace them.

And fixing microwaves/washers have 2 types: where you run the digital multimeter and find the broken part and buy a replacement part on-line, or, flat out fixing the replacement part. And I would imagine for fixing them, you run into the territory or proprietary information meaning only company employees would know how to fix them, but wouldn't know how to fix the same thing for another company's products. What do you guys think? Cuz honestly, right now I feel like if I know how to fix a broken microwave, or and washing machine, I can easily learn to fix anything.

9. Would be dope if there was a programming section here. Where people can ask others for help on building projects like in C++ or Java. And where there are threads on where people post their basement or garage labs or workplace, they can post screenshots of computer programs they coded heh.
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-1-2022 at 13:24

I hope this is useful to someone, but anti-bacterial compounds for water.

For those that like bleach, hydrogen peroxide, and triethylene glycol (air sanitizer), I was at a REI store in USA and saw a small glass bottle smaller than a finger, where you use it to pour in water, wait 35 minutes, and it kills bacteria to drink it.

The chemical is.

Tetraglycine hydroperiodide 16.7%.

I also saw a 2-pack where part A is 2% chlorine dioxide and part B is 5% phosphoric acid. Sounds like part A is to kill the bacteria, and part B is to remove / neutralize the chlorine. The outside didn't say how long to wait for part A and B.

This store is for camping related materials, so this is a if you're out in the desert and you find water, and drinking it could be too anti-bacterial.

Weird, Wikipedia has no article on tetraglycine hydroperiodide or tetraglycine periodide.

But the previous thing I saw and bought at a Walgreen's store, is the air sanitizer made by Ozonium which has 4.4% triethylene glycol and 4.4% propylene glycol. You can use it to spray on shoes, or in the center of the room.

I also saw some glow-in-the-dark thing smaller than a thin finger too attached to a keychain, where you put it in light for 30 minutes and it can last 10 hours I believe. But only came in 2 colors blue or yellow.

[Edited on 25-1-2022 by Neal]

[Edited on 25-1-2022 by Neal]

Go To Top