Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pure metallic calcium for sale.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 16:35
Pure metallic calcium for sale.

My acquaintance trades on a professional level with chemical elements, but does not engage in international business, although he has a lot of experience with it. He works alone at the company and simply doesn't have the time...He acquired a larger quantity of very good metallic calcium some time ago and decided to sell it on the domestic market at a very good price. I offered to help him with offer calcium here on a forum for other enthusiasts and professionals. It looks pretty cheap to me, compared to the prices on Ebay, but mostly it's very high-quality and without corrode! Its chemical purity is at least 99.5%, measured at 99.8% on an X-ray spectrometer! These are shavings that vary slightly in size. The main impurity is molybdenum in the 0.0X % amount. 0.1% of impurities are natural surface oxidation. This calcium is stored in a container filled to the brim so that there is no room for air. This is an advantage as it has not been stored under oil and does not have to be painstakingly removed from grease and can be used immediately! For longer storage of the remaining quantity when the bottle is no longer full, it is recommended that the buyer place it under paraffin oil. Then it can be degreased with gasoline. The price per 100g is 12 euros.
Quantities are not limited, kilograms of metal can also be supplied...Calcium comes from Central Europe, the Czech Republic, it is not an import from China and is of course a warehouse and immediately available for shipment. The purity was personally verified by my acquaintance's X-ray spectrometer.
Postage is the same for the EU and outside the EU. Up to 200g 8 Euro, Up to 400g 11 Euro, up to 800g 17 Euro, over 800g on request. These amounts are understood to be the amount of pure calcium metal, not plus the packaging material! If you're interested, text me at U2U. Enclosed photo.

Calcium metal.jpg - 104kB
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 22:20

Not a question specifically for you Admagistr, but to everyone around here: anything interesting to do with calcium metal? For the price alone I would order some, but I can't think of a use right now myself.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 00:31

Tsjerk -
drying agent ?
reducing agent in metals preparation? like Cr, Zr, or even Th
preparation of CaH2 ?

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 01:28

There is such a thing as "heavy grignards" using calcium. I dob't know much more than that.
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 14:36

I remember years ago I used to have a little container of calcium metal nuggets (I think I bought it on eBay). One use was for blowing up balloons with hydrogen. I would calculate the mass needed (usually just a couple nuggets) based on the volume of the balloon. I would fill a 1-liter plastic pop bottle almost to the brim with water, drop in the calcium, and attach the balloon to the mouth of the bottle. Worked well - no HCl or other acid fumes to weaken the balloon or make it hazardous - only possible residue is lime.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 15:23

I myself bought 1 kg of this calcium. I think someone posted on the forum recently that they made a metallic cesium, from CsCl, using calcium. So you can use calcium instead of the more expensive lithium metal. I also want to try using it for pyrotechnics and for high-temperature reducers. It burns at a very high temperature, well over 2000 C and a dazzling flame. I also want to see how it would burn in, say, molten KNO3. And in other oxidative compounds that easily release oxygen... I've talked to the owner repeatedly to see if it would be possible to at least reduce the price a little bit, perhaps provide some sort of quantity discount...I got a positive answer, so I can negotiate a quantity discount...The owner pays taxes properly and they were counted on when the price was created. If someone wants to issue an official proof of purchase of calcium, that's not a problem. Of course, there is also a guarantee of purity at least 99.5% and the possibility of a claim.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 20-1-2022 at 15:30

Too bad he's not state side because shipping to me would be prohibitively expensive. I would pick up a few tens of kilos. I think we paid like $6/lb for 98% Ca last time and it wasn't nearly as nice as what he has. We occasionally have projects where we need to convert rare earth halides to the metal.

BTW, I've done the Cs from CsCl with Ca. It works for Rb as well. Very nicely. You can then redistill the metals in vacuo.

I have a ton of left over CsCl...some 2 or 3 kilograms' worth so if you want any let me know. Some of it I use for things at work (i.e. Cs2IrCl6) but I've been getting the hankering to dig out some stainless pipe and have one of my colleagues that knows how to TIG weld it up.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-1-2022 at 21:45

Quote: Originally posted by Fleaker  
Too bad he's not state side because shipping to me would be prohibitively expensive. I would pick up a few tens of kilos. I think we paid like $6/lb for 98% Ca last time and it wasn't nearly as nice as what he has. We occasionally have projects where we need to convert rare earth halides to the metal.

BTW, I've done the Cs from CsCl with Ca. It works for Rb as well. Very nicely. You can then redistill the metals in vacuo.

I have a ton of left over CsCl...some 2 or 3 kilograms' worth so if you want any let me know. Some of it I use for things at work (i.e. Cs2IrCl6) but I've been getting the hankering to dig out some stainless pipe and have one of my colleagues that knows how to TIG weld it up.

Thank you for your contribution. A package weighing say 30 kg to the US would cost about $140. Shipping costs could be offset by a quantity discount! But there is a problem with the weight of the packaging and perhaps a wooden pallet would be needed. It would be best to buy for example a 1 kg sample first and then buy the 30 kg in 10 kg increments...Shipping would again be offset by a quantity discount...

Go To Top