Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ANSU mixture questions.
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 5-11-2023 at 05:55

More precisely, it was:
60 g of AN
10 g of DMSO2
56 g of LiP + 29 g of water (85 g of trihydrate, technical grade, from pyro supplier)
14 g of hexamine
Thus, wet mix is 169 g if nothing evaporated and dry weight is 140 g (intended).

Of course, in hindsight, it would be better to start with dried components, and even better to first separately make AN/DMSO2 and Lithex, then combine them.
But now I guess I have to dry it. Maybe pouring it on a pan and heating on low heat will drive out water without sublimating dimethyl sulfone.

[Edited on 5-11-2023 by EF2000]

Wroom wroom
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 5-11-2023 at 14:41

Yes. If the intended 140g mixture will works, it will interesting mixture....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-11-2023 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by JohnyT56  
So i've been experimenting with energetics for quite a while now and made some interesting stuff. I want to scale it up to detonations bigger than 3-5 grams and the only explosives i have acces to that can easily be bulked are ammonium nitrate based. I don't have acces to nitromethane or aluminium powder, and after a lot of reserach i've come to the conclusion that the ammonium nitrate sugar dynamon mixture would be the next best choice, as its quite a bit more sensitive than ANFO and a little bit more powerful as well. This is the part i'm wondering about, just how sensitive is it. I assume there is nothing more to it than dry mixing coffee milled ammonium nitrate with powdered sugar in the correct quantities? I have my own reliable ETN blasting cap. I plan on starting with a small oxygen balanced ANSU 85:15 charge of around 500g and according to what other people used 12g of plastiscized ETN should be enough to detonate it which seems odd. I expected it to need a bigger booster. It will not be heavily confined, only in a small plastic jar. Will this really be enough to achieve full detonation?

Not sure exactly what youre after, but if you want to scale up without getting complicated, and you dont have issues with needing to make a mobile explosive charge, (as in: emplace and detonate on site), then you can really make massive dust initiator blasts for really cheap. These were developed in military for destroying structures. They use high explosives in military, small charges, only a couple hundred grams of C4 and detonate it under a particulate fuel. The pressure signature is massive, and the detonation looks impressive because it uses oxygen from the air to complete the detonation.
This picture is a dust initiator charge from around 2015 or so. It is detonated from IIRC only 3 lbs of ammonium nitrate, maybe even 2 lbs, (I cant quite recall), in the form of tannerite mix. It was initiated by shooting with a rifle bullet. On top of the AN was emplaced probably around 30-40 lbs of powdered sugar, tightly confined with pressure from saran wrap. The detonation profile was massive. Very cheap and simple. the scale of the picture is around approximately 20 meters + in width but the detonation profile was even bigger than that , maybe 35-40 m.

Screenshot at 2023-11-08 11-26-32.png - 530kB

[Edited on 8-11-2023 by Hey Buddy]
EF2000
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2023 at 09:56

Quote: Originally posted by Hey Buddy  

This picture is a dust initiator charge from around 2015 or so. It is detonated from IIRC only 3 lbs of ammonium nitrate, maybe even 2 lbs, (I cant quite recall), in the form of tannerite mix. It was initiated by shooting with a rifle bullet. On top of the AN was emplaced probably around 30-40 lbs of powdered sugar, tightly confined with pressure from saran wrap. The detonation profile was massive. Very cheap and simple. the scale of the picture is around approximately 20 meters + in width but the detonation profile was even bigger than that , maybe 35-40 m.
[Edited on 8-11-2023 by Hey Buddy]

Really impressive, it's something like 224-298 MJ yield (56-74.5 kg TNTeq by energy)
By powdered sugar, you mean that fine powder used as icing for pastry, right? I guess, flour or starch will work well too, while granulated sugar may have problems due to its moisture content.
And, most importantly, did it smell like caramel after the blast?

Wroom wroom
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2023 at 12:40

recrystallizing AN and sugar would be the best way to mix them. Dissolving AN ans SU together in water then evaporate it.

[Edited on 14-11-2023 by underground]
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2023 at 09:28

If you try to mix via solvation, it’ll be a headache to try to dry (and maybe re-prill) the powder afterwards - especially in any amounts over 500g. I’d say to just use the AN/Su mix as a slurry at that point and maybe add in a gelatinizer and fuel like TiH2 or Al to boost brisance. If the mix is meant as a FAE then a slurry may outperform the original dry form.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-11-2023 at 14:55

Quote: Originally posted by EF2000  

Really impressive, it's something like 224-298 MJ yield (56-74.5 kg TNTeq by energy)
By powdered sugar, you mean that fine powder used as icing for pastry, right? I guess, flour or starch will work well too, while granulated sugar may have problems due to its moisture content.
And, most importantly, did it smell like caramel after the blast?

Yes the blast was just pastry sugar for icing from the grocery store. I dont know if wrapping it tightly in saran wrap contributed to its detonation character, but i mention it because I wrapped arbitrary bundles of maybe 4 lbs or so as bricks and stacked them on top of the AN. The AN was in a clear plastic container, doped with sensitizer.
Pretty much any particulate fuel works. Flour/grain etc. It seems to me that the finer and more air buoyant the material the better. Ground charcoal also works well. Boron is the best in terms of energy output that I know of, then Al, then C. Any bulk material that is 33% + in N can also be detonated as a tertiary explosive. You can detonate urea without an intermixed oxidizer if you detonate it with something high velocity with enough overdriving mass. It will use atmospheric oxygen to complete redox the best it can and detonate. The detonation of urea seems like it's about as powerful as AN, judging from memory.
It was developed because light patrols can carry small amount of explosives, then use materials on site to amplify destructive force, destroy rail cars, structures etc. without having to man-carry heavy explosive loads to the objective. Very handy,
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 17-11-2023 at 15:14

Yes the blast was just pastry sugar for icing from the grocery store. I dont know if wrapping it tightly in saran wrap contributed to its detonation character, but i mention it because I wrapped arbitrary bundles of maybe 4 lbs or so as bricks and stacked them on top of the AN.

Please don’t carry these bundles around with you.:D

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
EF2000
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-11-2023 at 00:40

It was developed because light patrols can carry small amount of explosives, then use materials on site to amplify destructive force, destroy rail cars, structures etc. without having to man-carry heavy explosive loads to the objective. Very handy,

Handy, though if caught on such a mission, would be hard to explain to enemy military police why did you stole a sack of sugar from officers' canteen. "Our commander is feeling down and needs some pastry to cheer up, you see..."

Fedoroff says in Volume 5, D1579 that:
Quote:

The overall explosibility of several materials when compared to Pittsburgh coal, the currently accepted standard with an explosibiliry index of 1, is as follows: Corn starch (com[mercia]l) 7; wheat flour 4; sugar, powdered 9.6; methyl methacrylate polymer 6.3; cellulose acetate >10; magnesium, milled, 7.7; and aluminum, atomized, 2.5

So, aluminium mixed with powdered sugar, starch or even cellulose acetate can be interesting fuel. Metal powder providing energy density and highly flammable organic powder providing reliable ignition.

By energy density, Ti should be superior to Al, but titanium powder is usually much coarser, so it's ranked lower in explosibility and max pressure in studies like Overview of dust explosibility characteristics for example. And if someone is completely pyro-maniacal, they can try even Zr or ferrocerium dust (both wouldn't wait for initiation, though)

[Edited on 18-11-2023 by EF2000]

Wroom wroom
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top