Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Non-aqueous solubilities
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 18:33
Non-aqueous solubilities

It's pretty easy to find solubility information on many common compounds in water. It's tougher to find information on solubilities in other solvents. I'd love to have extensive solubility information for substances in ethanol, DMSO, and chloroform. Are there any large collections of reference information dealing with solubilities in substances other than water? Online sources would be fantastic, but actual books would be fine too if they aren't super-rare.

I've found, for example, that chloroform and water both readily mix with DMSO, but olive oil doesn't. My simple intuitions fail me!

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 18:51

CRC has solubilities or everything imaginable plus some more in Acetone, and Ethanol the last time I checked. Benzene, TetraChloroMethane, and Ether I think too. I remember there being more than just Acetone and alcohol, the the specifics escape me.

http://home.primus.com.au/royellis/solchart.htm This site gives some things in Alcohol, but don't get your hopes up for a ton of things.

http://www.rhodium.ws/pdf/solvent.miscibility.pdf This does it with solvents. The table is pretty common I think.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 18:45

Does anyone want to compile a table? There are quite a few solubilities that I've been wondering about, I can measure them to the best of my abilities when the time comes to experiment with them this summer. And I'm sure other members of this board might measure a solubility or two during their experiments. It might be neat to put in on a community solubility table. At my library I've got books full of solubilites, but for non-aqueous solvents it usually only lists a few (acetone, methanol, ethanol, etc.) and it only lists those for very common chems. like NaCl and NaNO3.

I did an amazon.com search and didn't turn up any interesting books, however with the 'look inside feature' I found references to other books.

L. Scheflan and M. B. Jacobs, The Handbook of Solvents, D. Van Nostrand, New York, 1953

J. J. Lagowski, Ed., The Chemistry of Non-Aqueous Solvents, Vols. 1, 2, and 3, Academic Press, New York, 1966, 1967, and 1970

T. C. Waddington, Non-Aqueous Solvent Systems, Academic Press, New York, 1965

I. Mellan, Handbook of Solvents, Vol. 1, Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York, 1957

Organic Solvents, 2nd ed., Volume VII of Technique of Organic Chemistry, Interscience, New York, 1955

I'm not sure if any of them are what I would be looking for, in terms of table listing solubilities of compounds in non-aqueous mediums, but it's a place to start.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top