Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Allotropes of carbon dioxide
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

Mood: heretical

[*] posted on 10-3-2004 at 23:48
Allotropes of carbon dioxide

I was wondering, do any allotropes of carbon dioxide exist, apart from the simple O=C=O molecule? For instance, could it exist with a silicon dioxide structure? I did some quick calculations, and found that the conversion from the linear form to the silicon dioxide structure isn't that endothermic:

Converting CO2 to the SiO2 form, for each molecule of CO2 requires breaking 2 C=O bonds, and forming 4 C-O bonds.
C=O bond energy = 728 kJ/mol
C-O bond energy = 351 kJ/mol
delta H=2x(C=O) - 4x(C-O)
= +52 kJ/mol, which isn't all that much, so it can't be much less stable than the linear form. However, I've never heard of carbon dioxide existing in this form, so does it actually exist?
JustMe
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 15:03

Oh, you mean poly-CO2?

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Poly-CO2
Proteios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2004 at 10:36

errr... aint allotropes just 4 elelments?
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2004 at 18:18

Probably, but it was the best word I could think of. Anyhow, it's the same concept, so I don't see why the word can't be used to describe compounds.
Proteios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2004 at 23:09

sure i guess... and i never had a prob. understaning what you were going on about... but same chemical formula but different form (the current case) is usually isomers.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2004 at 15:28

The last time I looked the various forms of SiO2 were refered to as "crystal modifications" or polymorphs. Not many of these forms seem to be shown by CO2.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 14-3-2004 at 15:45

Quote:

which isn't all that much, so it can't be much less stable than the linear form. However, I've never heard of carbon dioxide existing in this form, so does it actually exist?

It would be more useful to calculate the entropy chance and the gibbs free energy from that.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2004 at 16:03

I do't know the value of the entropy change but I know that sticking lots of CO2 molecules together as a polymer will result in a lower entropy system and tend to be favoured at low temperatures OTOH the reaction is endothermic so it will be favoured by high temperatures.
At best the pressure would need to be high enough to tend to offset the entropy term, at worst it isn't possible.
Pity really, would be interesting.
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2004 at 20:27

Pyrovus,

You are forgetting something though. While an 'additional' 52kj/mole might be easy for a molecule, this would be due to the order the atoms are in, eg, N=O instead of C=O. If the silica structure existed endothermically it would be an exiplex, an *electronically* excited state.

Electronic states dont tend to last very long and if you could make a solid that was only solid becuase it was in an electronically excited state this would be far more impressive than anything poly CO2/lattice CO2 would be capable of in terms of material properties. If nothing else your half an ev difference would probably make the worlds most powerful IR laser for its weight.....

Given RTP stable CO2 has not been seen to form so far, but assuming for the moment it exists, you would need an immensly powerful trick working in nature to keep it from forming under conditions used allready and yet find a method to make it. The kind of discovery that would win nobel prizes.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-3-2004 at 15:30

I have found a few references to tetramethoxy methane (Bpt 113 c)
If that exists, then extrapolating to a diamond like structure for poly (CO2)doesn't seem too far fetched. Granted, the oxygens would prefer bent rather than linear geometry.
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 00:08
Another possibility

The SiO2 structure might be a bit ambitious, but what about smaller structures? For instance, perhaps cyclic polymers formed by the dehydration of carbonic acid i.e. things like [-O-C(=O)-O-C(=O)-O-C(=O)-O-C(=O)-]n? Could this work?

Never accept that which can be changed.

Go To Top