Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AN coating.
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:19
AN coating.

After a weekend at my friends house I have an idea. We were having soem fun with APAN because thats all we had at the time(normaly I never use peroxides like this) Everyone knows how easily AN disolvs in water. Do you think it would work to disolve 200g of AN into a cup of water and add 40g AP, stir, then filter and let dry. This would coat the AP crystals in a small layer of AN and might protect them. Any ideas on this? It might be applied to other HEs such as ETN(any non water soluble powder)

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:44

One comment:

AN solutions is quite acidic....

What makes you think AN would precipitate on the AP???

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 12:51

Well, a suitable chemical precipitated onto AP might help moderate the volatility of the chemical and increase the oxygen balance. However I would shy away from AN since it is hygroscopic and therefore the end product would be hygroscopic.

Instead might you consider potassium nitrate, solubility of 240g / 100ml @ 100C and only 13.3 g / 100ml @3C. Make a saturated solution at about 70C then add your AP, stirring is begun and continued until the temperature drops to about 25C then the crystals are filtered. It might or might not precipitate onto the AP but who knows.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 13:09

Whenever I have AN disolved in water, ANYTHING I put in the water comes out with a layer of AN covering it. If set out in the sun, the layer becomes dry and hard. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a powder of some sort that isn't water soluble.(AP)
sodium bicaronate could be added to the filtered but not yet totaly dry AP/AN while in the filter to neutralize acidity if there was any.

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 14:00

Ammonium Nitrate is acidic in solution beacuse it is made from a strong acid and a weak base. AN dissociates in water and therefore adding a base, such as sodium carbone/hydroxide/hydrogencarbonate will cause a double displacement reaction to occur producing sodium nitrate and an ammonium compound.

The formation of the AN 'coat' will probabaly form according to the crystal structures. AN is highly soluble in water and I don't know how it crystallizes out of soln just by adding any substance.

IgnorantlyIntelligent, if you have any free time you could try this 'coating'. Post some pics of any precipitation that occurs, and if possibly some pics of this mixture deflagrating (or detonating, nicer :P).
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 19-3-2004 at 14:28

Well, after hearing what you all have to say I doubt my idea will work, but I will be trying it as soon as my AP is done. I hate making AP! It almost never works for me because I use 3% Heres my procedure: mix 50ml hydrochloric acid with 200ml of acetone. Then drop temp to 10c. pour in 430ml of 3% H2O2, stir for 2 min. Put in freezer and drop temp to 5c. Let sit for 24 hours in the refigerator. The first 50 times I used this it worked fine. The last 10 times it hasn't worked at all. Nothing has changed. This syn. normaly produces a film canister full of AP(uncompressed). Now gives me nothing......Im puzzled.:o
BTW: feel free to make fun of me.:( Maybe I should stick to LS for my primary...

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by IgnorantlyIntelligent]

Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 06:51

Call me mad, but I rarely cool the mixture in which the reaction takes place and get very good yields. With 200 ml of acetone I would get nearly 2 film canisters (an approximation - I think the yield is better than that since I use nail polish remover and that is not completely propanol). Now I use 30% Hydrogen Peroxide.

You are using 3% H2O2 mixture and the heat evolved should be minimal because of the large amounts of water which will absorb the heat (water has a high specific heat capacity). I don't think it is reasonable to place the mixture in a freezer/refrigirator. I would suggest cooling the reactants before mixing them, but thats all the cooling to carry out. Just let the mixture sit somewhere cool for 24 hrs and you should get some better yields.
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 08:56

Well, from what I know, if the reaction takes place at a temp higher than 15c, the dimeric isomer forms. This isomer is less powerful in many aspects and is less stable. Putting it in the frig isn't hard.
BTW: my mix froze last night. I left it in the freezer too long:(:mad: The AN is now activated and very pure.
After hearing what you all have to say about my idea I think your right. The powder would try to absorb water far too much and would be impractical.
Normal APAN is probably as good as it gets when combining AN and AP.(I hate peroxides, this was just to try to find a safe way for people who love AP to use/store it more safley. I hate seeing news of young kids diing from peroxides.

Quince
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 05:24

What about APAN putty? I managed to nitrate some cotton without distilling (AN+sulfuric acid; I don't have my distillation setup here yet), and when I dissolved it in acetone, it's now cloudy, probably from the ammonium bisulfate. What is the stability of adding AP and AN to this? Would the impurity interfere, or making putty from APAN with nitrocellulose is simply not an option? I certainly don't want something that will blow while I'm mixing it...

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell

Go To Top