Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ammonium nitrate
GeneralChemTutor
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-3-2004 at 09:21
ammonium nitrate

I would like to know the theoretical chemistry in detail behind the following reactions help would be appreciated (any sites etc...):

-aluminum, ammonium nitrate, heat

-potassium nitrate and sugar, heat

-iodine and potassium perchlorate, alcohol (???)

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2004 at 14:07

Google is a good site.
Come to think of it, this one isn't bad, it even has a search function.
(How come there isn't an emoticon for sarcasm?)
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-3-2004 at 17:11

What do you mean by "theoretical chemistry"? Combution/deflagration mechanisms tend to be hideously complex. Probably noone fully understands what goes on in them. Free radicals are often important, I think.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 25-3-2004 at 18:19

Just some basic ideas, don't quote me on them:

"-iodine and potassium perchlorate, alcohol (???)"

You add iodine to a solution or even a solid perchlorate you will get the iodine oxidized to the periodate and the perchlorate will be reduced to chlorine. The alcohol in the mix add considerably though, you might end up with a perchlorate/iodate ester such as ethyl perchlorate which has been covered at this site but if this is done in the solid state that will be a no-go, it will just burst into flame or deflagerate depending on the amounts of reactants present in what combination.

"potassium nitrate and sugar, heat"

That's the old smoke bomb. The KNO3 is usually present in less then stoichiometric amounts because you want some carbon to remain uncombined to give the smoke particulate. Of course you know this is a combustion reaction.

2KNO3 ---> K2O + N2 + 2 1/2O2
C6H12O6 ---> 6C + 6H2O

Combine the reactions however you want to destroy some of that carbon, but those are in individual decompositions that those reactants go through at high temperature, the oxygen generated by the KNO3 at those temperatures coupled with the already decomposing sugar helps to initiate the combustion and the remainder of the KNO3 propagates it.

"aluminum, ammonium nitrate, heat"

Inital step is the decomposition of the ammonium nitrate, however it has two routes:

NH4NO3 ---> N2O + 2H2O
Or at higher temperatures:
NH4NO3 ---> N2 + 2H2O + 1/2O2

In this reaction the second reaction will predominate due to the exothermic nature of the aluminum going to the oxide. However the nitrous oxide is one of the only common gasses other then oxygen that supports combustion. So either way.

What it all comes down to in the first two reactions is the stability of the bonds, nitrates are inherently unstable to heat with respect to their elements so heat is the catalyst. The oxygen plus the elevated temperatures needed to produce it initiate the combustion, oxygen comes into contact with the surface of the burnable material and at elevated temperatures oxidizes is, when the amount of heat put off by the oxidation exceeds the rate that it can radiate it, it propagates through the mass and combustion takes place.

The last reaction deals with iodine being easily oxidized by the perchlorate the alcohol being easily flamable/able to form the ester.

Yeah, this kind of rambled and I oversimplified quite a bit, there is some interesting reactions involving free radicals that I skimmed over and I don't think I was detailed enough but I was just trying to get across some of the ideas.

[Edited on 3/26/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
GeneralChemTutor
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2004 at 16:18

Thank you for all of your help. I was at the time reading Dancing Naked in the Minefield by Kary B. Mullis and he had mentioned some of these chemicals. I wished to know more details behind the reactions...reaction mechanisms, in light of theoretical chemistry (free energy), and any new aspect which spans beyond general chemistry. Any new information would be appreciated, also sources , particularly internet sources.

Go To Top