Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Na from NaCl by electral
DirtyDan
Harmless

Mood: Whizzed

[*] posted on 27-3-2004 at 11:48
Na from NaCl by electral

Hey, im new and dont know if its a good idea to post a new topic but i couldnt find too much personal info on obtaining Na from salt. Theres a lot of info on the new, but no actual pictures, or self experiences, just alot of stuff from the crapbook and alot of controversy on it. Many people, including my chemistry teacher, said that heating NaCl to 800c and applying electrolysis would cause the Na to form but that it would oxidize in the air quickly from the intense heat. I would have tried it by now, but im unsure of the best way to melt something at that temperature also. Ive seen pictures of molten salt on a bunsen burner, but i dont want to try that until im sure of my power source so that i wont have to let it electrolize for 20+ hours.. :o Anybody have any personal insight or more info on how the reaction goes?
Thanks in advance

Also i thought it may be better to ask a more specific question since my others may be common knowledge. What is the best amount to be run through the molten NaCl? 12v 5a?

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by DirtyDan]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 27-3-2004 at 12:16

Well, first off, there is a topic already up in the technochemistry section: Sodium! but that thread is getting a bit long. However this should probably have been posted to it. That aside, it is true that if you try to electrolyze NaCl at these temperatures without protection from the atmosphere it will oxidize pretty much instantly. Also the chlorine coming up from the anode will react back with the sodium on the surface if not properly separated.

It should be noted that industrially a 33% NaCl 67% CaCl2 mixture is used melting at 580C. Calcium impurities are minimal especially since calcium will crystallize out of the molten Na. The two electrodes in this setup are separated by a steel gauze diaphragm. However even at this temperature air oxidation will be enormous, even electrolysis of molten NaOH at a considerably lower temperature still has unacceptable losses in contact with air.

You should be able to find many technical details by looking up the Downs Cell in google and most likely pictures of setups.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
DirtyDan
Harmless

Mood: Whizzed

[*] posted on 27-3-2004 at 21:07

Thanks bromide, im looking now for Downs Cell, and i stupidly overlooked searching 'Sodium' and instead searched Na, which mostly turned me to synethesis of other compounds besides sodium itself.
darkflame89
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2004 at 04:54

I dunno whether this is correct... If I electrolyse a solution of NaOH, oxygen is produced at the anode and hydrogen at the cathode. Then, won't sodium be left??!!!:o Correct me if i am wrong..

Ignis ubique latet, naturam amplectitur omnem.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2004 at 08:10

You'll just be doing the electrolysis of water, if carried on exhaustively you would just get rid of the water and be left with sodium hydroxide. Toward the very end you might have some sort of paste that might behave violently but nothing worthwhile expecially since any Na formed would react back with any water in the paste.

t_Pyro
Hazard to Others

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 28-3-2004 at 10:22

Commercially, soium hydroxide is manufactured by the electrolysis of concentrated brine using a mercury layer as the cathode. The sodium amalgam thus formed is treated with water to get pure sodium hydroxide. Instead of adding water to the sodium amalgam, isn't there a way to extract the sodium from the amalgam?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2004 at 10:37

It usually takes a lot of mercury for this method to be efficient for the main reason that sodium forms a solid amalgam with mercury that only has 2% or at maximum 3% sodium by this method. But yes, there is a way to separate them, you can distill off the mercury, however distilling mercury can be quite hazardous to your health.

One interesting thing, somewhat related to this is one of Humphry Davy's methods for isolating potassium. He took a block of KOH and set it on a sheet of metal, the block had a depression in the top middle. He waited for it to take moisture from the air till it had a sheen, then he took an electrode and put it in the depression and completed the circuit through the metal plate that the block was sitting on. His cathode in the depression started violent reactions and "..small gobules having a high metallic luster, and being precisely similar in visible character to quicksilver, appeared, some of which burnt with explosion and bright flame, as soon as they were formed, and others remained, and were merely tarnished, and finally covered with a white film on the surface.."

This comes to the relation to the current train of thought in N. M. Hopkins modification to the experiment. The conditions were the same with the exception that the depression in the top of the block was filled with mercury. "During the electrolysis the sodium hydroxide is moistened from time to time. After about an hour, the mercury becomes immobile owing to the amalgamation of sodium with the mercury. The two metals can be separated by distilling off the mercury; sodium remains behind."

t_Pyro
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2004 at 10:48

I was under the impression that the amalgam was liquid, cause the diagram of the plant in my text book shows the amalgam being pumped out of the cell into a separate chamber where it is brought into contact with water.

Well, I don't think distillation would be a good idea... In the Wurtz synthesis, can we use sodium amalgam instead of pure sodium?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2004 at 10:52

At lower percentages the amalgam would be liquid, in the cell that you speak of it is constantly pumped so it is not an issue of getting as much into the amalgam as possible just constantly circulating the cathode liquid. I was just assuming that mercury would be in limited supply so you would want to obtain a maximum concentration before commencing distillation. The amalgam can hold higher percentages but doing so requires production in a different way.
Quote:

In the Wurtz synthesis, can we use sodium amalgam instead of pure sodium?

I'm not familiar with the Wurtz synthesis in particular but usually the amalgam can be substituted for the pure metal in almost all instances.

t_Pyro
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2004 at 11:07

The Wurtz synthesis involves the reaction of an alkyl halide with sodium to "couple" the alkane, producing a symetrical alkane and NaX:
2R-X + 2Na -> R-R +2NaX

If this works with the amalgam, maybe I could directly react the amalgam from my (hypothetical) cell with the alkyl halide.

Go To Top