Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lead Thiocyanate synthesis again....
Biochem
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 17:05
Lead Thiocyanate synthesis again....

Hey I have a question on lead thiocyanate synthesis similarly like the one posted earlier. I'm currently doing a research experiment at a university where I am given control of what I buy etc. My beginning is substance is solder and I am to somehow synthesize two compounds: Pb(SCN)2 - Lead thiocyanate and K3PbI3 which I believe is a type and should be KPbI3 instead. Does anyone have any idea of what procedures I should go through to get these two compounds as my end product or what references to look up? Thanks alot.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Biochem]
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 17:22

What type of chems can you use, other than the solder? Do you have to create the thiocyanate ion? If you have access to anything the lead thiocyanate synth could be something like this.
Pb(in solder) + HNO3---> Pb(NO3)2 +NO2
2NaSCN + Pb(NO3)2-->2NaNO3 + Pb(SCN)2 the lead thiocyanate would precipitate out. I dont have any ideas about the second one though.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by rogue chemist]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 18:03

You should note that new solder does not have lead in it to my knowledge. It is mostly silver/tin solder on the market now adays.

[Edited on 4/7/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 19:13

Bromic Acid: Thats weird, last time that I saw solder(about 1 week ago) there was 2 types; one said "danger: contains lead, a chemical known to...", and the other said "lead-free solder". I guess it depends where you look, I saw this at either Revy/Rona or at home depot.

YAY...100th post...I'm a hazard to others now :cool::D
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 19:34

You are right about the new solder not containing lead, but the stuff you buy at the hardware store will be tin/antimony Sn95%/Sb5% You can buy some specialty 'silver solders' that may contain a very small percentage of Ag. Your best bet for Lead (Pb) would be to visit a tire store, with a 6 pack of cola or beer and a bag of potato chips and ask for a bucket of lead wheel weights. Expect to be turned down, but be polite and ask for a few handfuls. Bring your own bucket or heavy bag. The ones with the steel clips on them contain a few percent antimony and who knows what else, but they are mostly lead. The pieces of thin lead in the bucket they pull off of alloy wheels, is almost pure lead. This is the stuff with the double sided tape on it. Another good spot to gather metal is the back dumpster of an air conditioning repair store. They often throw away electrical 'contactors', which are nothing but heavy duty relays handling the current to the large compressors. These contactors contain buttons of pure silver. Break up the plastic part of the unit with pliers or a hammer, wearing eye protection. You will see the silver on the end of the moveable part of the relay, and on the stationary parts it hits. They are often stained black. The buttons are riveted, soldered , or welded to a brass or copper arm. Even very small relays often contain surprising amounts of this increasingly expensive metal. It is over $8 a troy oz today. Some low current cheap relays do not contain silver but have some other alloy on them, perhaps Tungsten. Has anyone else been dumpster diving for these little gems? BTW, keep your eyes peeled for those old Mercury filled thermostats too.

While you are at the tire store, look to see if they turn brake drums and disks. If they have a lathe, the floor under it will be covered with cast iron turnings that look like black sawdust. You never can tell when you might need some iron filings.
Biochem
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 19:53

Thanks all for the help. I believe I can use almost any chemical you would find in a chemistry lab at a university. I'm still unsure about the KPbI3 if anyone else has any more suggestions it would be much appreciated
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 21:01

I found a few sites that mention the elusive KPbI3. BTW the name of the compound is potassium lead triiodide. If you google the formula you get a lot of non english sites-I cannot tell what language it is in. Heres a sample of the language-anyone recognise it? Межконфессиональный Христианский ...

http://www.chempage.de/lexi/kaliumiodid.htm - in german, unfortunatly my german is not advanced enough to translate this. KPbI3 is mentioned last paragraph.

http://journals.iucr.org/b/issues/1980/04/00/a18729/a18729.p... -need to subscrbe to viev any info
darkflame89
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-4-2004 at 00:55

Let me guess is the language Russian??

Ignis ubique latet, naturam amplectitur omnem.
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

thumbup.gif posted on 22-4-2004 at 07:07

Yes it IS Russian!

Go To Top