Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical Resistance Guide
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 18:00
Chemical Resistance Guide

Today I discovered a new simple means of distilling nitric acid via a large glass vessel, a small glass vessel and an inverted cone fashioned as a condenser. Well in the website I saw (brain fever's) he was using some type of plastic for a condenser. I was wondering if polyethylene would work so I started rasearching. Apon researching I stumbled on to a great PDF file containing tables of a chemical resistance guide. I soon learned that polyethylene will not with stand anhydrous nitric acid. However, polyvinylidene fluoride is rated to be good at resisting anhydrous nitric acid. I'm wondering if polyvinylidene chloride a.k.a. SARAN wrap, shares the same nitric acid resisting properties as the former. In any case this PDF I found is a great source of information so I will post it for any of you who are interested. Any feedback on my question about PVDF vs PVDC would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by tom haggen] \

Ok nevermind i guess I can't upload PDF files.

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by tom haggen]

N/A
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 18:12

Here we go I just forgot to post this in my first post, and was unable to upload the file durning the post edit function. So heres the Chemical Resistance Guide PDF....

Attachment: EMP030.pdf (19kB)
This file has been downloaded 1247 times

N/A
4s2
Harmless

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 20:58

what key words did you search for? assume you used googles file type search. If theres one goody, there got to be more... perhaps even from the same place?

I haven\'t failed, I\'ve found 683 ways that don\'t work. -- Me.
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 22:17

I searched for polyvinylidene chloride and nitric acid resistance. It only came up with information on the acid resistance of polyvinylidene fluoride, among other things besides polyvinylidene chloride.
Quote:

If theres one goody

what the hell are you saying man?

N/A
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2004 at 06:30

Ok guess I'll answer my own question. I have been exposing polyvinylidene chloride to hot nirtric acid vapors for about 9 hrs now, and haven't noticed any significant corrosion. YA:D

N/A
4s2
Harmless

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 19-4-2004 at 07:40

what do you mean, what do I mean? I was hoping that the Pulsatron site you found the resistance guide would have other nifty important documents that would be useful. But upon doing a filetype/site boundry, all I found was Pump meters and the companies other products technical manuals. phht!

I haven\'t failed, I\'ve found 683 ways that don\'t work. -- Me.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 19-4-2004 at 15:20

http://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+Chemical+resistance&a...

I saw at least 6 tables on the first page. That doesn't count the entire first page of ads they now have.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Mendeleev
Hazard to Others

Mood: stoned

[*] posted on 19-4-2004 at 15:40

I've used saran wrap for distilling nitric, works just fine. In terms of chemical resistance, teflon is number one, plus there are several other ceramics that are also great. Butyl rubber is awesome, but what the hell is butyl rubber? In terms of commoly available stuff, like gloves, home depot has nitrile, latex, pvc, and even these huge ass neoprene gloves, which are thick, long, and black and look like they are from some full NCB war suit.
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2004 at 19:39

mumbles I checked your link out and the only source I found to contain information on PVDC required a membership.

N/A

Go To Top