Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silver Chlorite
siegfried
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 07:37
Silver Chlorite

Anyone made this or tried to? Bretherick's Handbook of Reactive Chemical Hazards says: "The salt is impact-sensitive, cannot be finely ground and explodes at 105C"
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:21

My suggested route (untested), treat Silver carbonate (yellow) suspension with Chlorine dioxide gas (caution: toxic/explosive, read ClO2's MSDS along with AgClO2), or add Ag2CO3 to ClO2 dissolved in water. This is an acid/carbonate reaction as ClO2 forms HClO2 and HClO3 upon dissolving:

Ag2CO3 + ClO2 + H2O --> AgClO2 (s) + AgClO3 + H2O + CO2 (g)

Filter out the AgClO2 and treat the aqueous Silver chlorate with Na2CO3 to recover Silver carbonate:

2 AgClO3 + Na2CO3 --> Ag2CO3 (s) + 2 NaClO3

One can also used the NaClO3 to regenerate more ClO2 (from NaClO3 and an excess of HCl or Oxalic acid).

Store AgClO2 in the dark to avoid photo-decomposition (which is common among silver salts) in an open container to avoid accumulation of explosive ClO2 gas.

Note, AgClO3 solutions are unstable (decomposing to AgCl and O2) unless one's add Ag2O.

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by AJKOER]

[Edited on 3-9-2012 by AJKOER]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 11:25

It is easier to make this from NaClO2 and a soluble silver salt. NaClO2 is easy to obtain. An example of a seller is this (I purchased this chemical from this seller).

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Sodium-Chlorite-80-Pure-Water-Purific...

There are other sellers of NaClO2, both in dissolved form or in the solid state.

The sodium chlorite is not really pure, it is 80%, the remainder is NaCl. Pure NaClO2 is not stable, it slowly decomposes until appr. 80% remains. This does not matter for this experiment. You obtain a mix of AgCl and AgClO2, but I think that the presence of some AgCl in the precipitate does not really matter.

[Edited on 2-9-12 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 23-1-2017 at 08:07

I have recently made it, and can say that it's really not that exciting. I have a video on it on YouTube. Just search "Silver chlorite slow decomp".
I made it by adding solid silver nitrate to a solution of Sodium Chlorite in filtered water. I got a yellow precipitate which hissed and decomposed upon being touched with a match into a quite mundane black powder. It seems to be decently light-sensitive.

Go To Top