Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Transition metal peroxyacetates?
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 17:04
Transition metal peroxyacetates?

I tried to make a copper acetate by leaving a few pennies in vinegar. About 2 weeks passed and nothing seemed to happen. Then I decided to add 3% Hydrogen peroxide to it. In a few minutes the solution turned blue. When I added NaOH, a green blob (kind of like Ferrous hydroxide) with moderate bubbling. Then after it settled it turned to a regular copper hydroxide.
The same thing happened with Nickle.

Why was there bubbling? Was it a metal peroxyacetate or did the H2O2 just sped up the reaction?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 19:01

Did the bubbling come from the gelatenous blob or did it seem to rise from nowhere in the solution?

Was the soultion warm?

What do you mean
Quote:
Then after it settled it turned to a regular copper hydroxide.

Could be a metal peroxyetanoate but if it was it decomposed readily. Or it could have been basified H2O2 reacting with organic material to oxidize it. Or metal ions catalyzing H2O2 decomposition. Or if the origional metal object that you were trying to dissolve was still in the solution the acid could have caused extensive pitting would could have acted as a high enough surface area substrate to catalyze H2O2 decomposition. Could have been a number of things.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 19:26

Quote:

Then after it settled it turned to a regular copper hydroxide

I meant that before it settled it was like a dark green or blue blob with bubbles coming from the blob. And after a while it looked like normal copper hydroxide (blue precipitate).

I don't think the solution didn't got warmer
Marvin
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-7-2004 at 11:12

Copper dissolves in acid faster when you add an oxidising agent, its not really strong enough to liberate hydrogen.

Hydrogen peroxide is unstable in basic solution decomposing to the expected water and oxygen. Its most stable in very mild acid. As for the odd green colour there is a basic copper acetate called verdigris that I think is blue/green, rather than the very light blue of fully hydrolysed copper hydroxide.

[Edited on 9-7-2004 by Marvin]
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2004 at 14:03

I should have noticed it earlier.

Apparently, the copper pennies must have been contaminated with nickel, which explains the green blob.

I tried later again and there was very few bubbling. Only bubbles came from the nickel.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 9-7-2004 at 17:03

What country's pennies were you dissolving? A while ago I had been dissolving the insides out of copper canadian pennies with HCl and the acid turned green. When the now hollow pennies were ripped open, there was clearly lots of green substance showing.
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2004 at 21:21

They were US pennies. After dissolving them, the solution turned blue.

The nickel (from US nicKel coins) solution was bluish turquoise. When precipitating them they were green BUT aren't nicel solutions supposed to be green?

----------------------
I read somewhere on the internet that peroxyacetic acid can dissolve aluminum but whenI tried it it didnt seem to work
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 9-7-2004 at 21:33

Copper can form a variety of green/blue/purple compounds, so don't assume that you have nickel just because you see green. US nickels are made of a 25% Ni, 75% Cu alloy.

Speaking of pennies and vinegar, I remember that when I was young I mixed salt and vinegar to clean pennies by a method that I'd read in some book. After a couple of minutes in the solution, they had beautifully clean surfaces. But they rapidly tarnished when washed off and exposed to air.

Even more interesting, I recall that after being used for some time, the mixture grew more potent. Dropping a penny in the solution would remove tarnish instantly. I don't know if this was from some sort of catalytic effect from the metals being dissolved, from evaporative concentration of the liquid, or something else. The blue-green liquid did leave some lovely colored big salt crystals when it finished evaporating.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2004 at 21:47

nevermind this post

[Edited on 10-7-2004 by guy]

Go To Top