Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sulfur (?)
DirtyDan
Harmless

Mood: Whizzed

sad.gif posted on 12-7-2004 at 15:20
Sulfur (?)

Hi, one of my new projects is to make some black powder, actually to prime rocket engines like this guy www.jamesyawn.com My problem is finding sulfur- im really having trouble getting any chemicals actually, i mean sure i can find HCl and H2SO4 fine at the hardware stores, and theres plenty of stump remover KNO3 at walmart, but I cant seem to find any bulk sources or cheaper places. As for sulfur - would I be able to find this at the walmart pharmacy? Im going down to Home Depot and Lowes soon to do a little chemical surveying, maybe Ill fix this whole problem then. What brand names would sulfur be under in the pharmacy? I can find h2o2 and glycerin and such fine but no Sulfur (Flour or Flower of) Thanks
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 16:04

Brewing supplies often have it, to burn it and have the SO2 sterilise the barrels...
Often also found in agricultural suppliers.
Ebay is anohter place.

Comon, that's one of the easiest things to find!
(the more in the US)

[Edited on 13-7-2004 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 16:15

In home depot sulfur is sold as "dusting sulphur", it is in the pesticide section.

Also, interesting to note, in an antique store I found 4oz bottles of sulfur and potassium nitrate, both full.:o The bottles are really neat, very old fashioned.:D
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 17:16

I found some Grant's Sulfur Dust. It's used as an anti-fungal agent. For what ever reason I was under the impression that sulfur burned by itself. But I guess I was wrong. It just seems to melt when I hit it with an open flame. Mabey the other 8% in the Sulfur Dust is flame retardant.

[Edited on 13-7-2004 by tom haggen]

N/A
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 20:23

I got my sulfur at the pharmacy, it's used for acne treatment.

DirtyDan
Harmless

thumbup.gif posted on 13-7-2004 at 04:39
Thanks

Ill have to check out the acne stuff next time im out, did you buy it pure or extract it from a lower solution? It would probably be more expensive this way though. For some reasone many of the black powder production guides have discouraged dusting sulfur, although the Household Products Database lists it as 98% pure (industrial dusting sulfur). What about Sulfur Flour, is it ever even sold under this name or is it just a distinguishinh used with the chemical in reactions (since flowers of sulfur contains h2so4 and such) Thanks, thats a great start for my next look anyways :D
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2004 at 09:29

My dusting sulfur is only 92% according to the label.

N/A
DirtyDan
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-7-2004 at 14:39
Hmmm...

I called around all day and found out there's a sulphur plant in my own city, selling sulfur at 50lbs bags for $15 :o. Now thats alot, a hell of a lot, especially when I cant find bulk KNO3 to use it with. Would I have more luck contacting a pest control place instead of agricultural suppliers? I talked to a salesman for a while that said he'd been into selling fertilizers for a while now and had never seen or heard of potassium nitrate, atleast under that name. I found one source at $2 a pound, great, right? Except the only thing they sell is a 50lbs bag and up. Hehe, still calling

*Called a wholesale fertilizer distributor, they told me who they sold to, and a they said gainans could order it. Called them and found out i can get a 50lbs bag for 39.50 :D:D Damnit what is with the massive quantities?! Oh well, good prices aye? What do you think haha. Thanks guys

-Dan

[Edited on 13-7-2004 by DirtyDan]
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2004 at 17:57

If you need it to make black powder/pyrotechnic mixtures, I'd invest in the KNO3...I believe you use that a lot for pyrotechnics in general.

50 lbs of sulfur is overboard though...I think the sulfer I got is pure. It doesn't say anything about purity on it, and you're supposed to dilute it in order to apply it to your face.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-7-2004 at 18:50
flowers of sulfur source

If you just want a few ounces of relatively high purity sulfur (USP grade IIRC) checkout Humco for internet sales. In the good old days I bought this OTC at my local pharmacy.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
DirtyDan
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-7-2004 at 20:59

Hey Thunderfvck, where is noitacoL :P But no, really, where did you get this acne cleanser? Are you in US, UK, OZ? Im in the US, and a few of the girls from my highschool were there watching me as i looked through all the acne cleansers (i dont have acne, made it a little weirder) And for some reason, the cleansers are all with the feminine products so it was a little akward... Heh, I didnt care just thought it was funny. Any particular brand name? Almost every one I found was a <12% solution of benzoyl peroxide. Ill check again, and order that KNO3 maybe... if not now later anyways. Im sort of broke.

*Just re-read your post. Was this ordered through the pharmacy, or did you find it OTC around the pharmacy? Just thought I'd clarify and save myself a trip, maybe call a couple pharmacy's

Thanks again!

[Edited on 14-7-2004 by DirtyDan]
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2004 at 21:18

Sorry - I should have been more specific.

The sulfur wasn't in the acne section, it was with all the other chemicals; Glycerin, Epsom Salts, Witch Hazel, Alum, Citric Acid...etc. Where you normally find the "motherload" of all the reasonably pure chemicals from some chemical manufacturer. I live in Canada. It simply said "Sulfur" on it.

Go To Top