Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nitromethane
brite_lites
Harmless

Mood: Phosphorous

[*] posted on 13-7-2004 at 10:24
nitromethane

Hi people,
I am interested in sensetising AN with MeNO2. Unfortunatly due partly to the fact that Ireland is a big bog and partly due to Bush' stoopid anal laws which make it illegal to ship ANY chemicals or hazardous materials out of the US I cant aquire rc fuel with concentrations of MeNO2 more than 20%. I was wondering if it was worth my while trying to distill the nitro out as I read that it forms an azeotrope with methanol and I do not fully understand the mechanisms of 'azeotropes'. Would it be possible to get pure MeNO2 by distillation alone? If not, how could i purify it further? Thanks very much.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 13-7-2004 at 16:29

There is a thread on the distillation of nitromethane, search for this. As far as I remember it requires a decent setup of lab hardware though... for fractionation.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 14-7-2004 at 02:19

Recently I ordered some pentaerythritol and after 3 weeks it finally arrived. From the UUUSSSAAA!!! :cool: Bush u silly boy! :D

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2004 at 03:37

There is a thread about this like chemo pointed out...and this is going off topic...

Closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top