Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iron as catalyst
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

Mood: PERFECT

[*] posted on 16-7-2004 at 11:21
Iron as catalyst

I tried to prepare anhyrous hydrazine from Urea with Iron powder as catalyst but I did not get any thing, I saw a white ppt. at my distilation tube and ammonia through my distilation process, So please help me at this, and about Nickel powder I can't get it now.:(
Thanks

Sam
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 16-7-2004 at 12:39

You could get Ni powder by reacting your iron powder(or an iron object) with a nickel salt.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 16-7-2004 at 13:57

What temperatures were employed. How fine was your iron powder? How about your urea, if it was not yet to molten temperature what form was it, pellets? How long did you hold it at heat? What do you mean at your distillation tube? What did your setup look like, were you bubbling it into something? Did you have the forethought to flush your reaction vessel with an inert gas?

All but the last question are incredibly important. In order to be any help I need significantly more detail. Note, hydrazine can explode from ground glass joints, traces of other metals in your iron powder, or the sun hitting it just right. In addition it is a potent carcinogen and toxic in other senses too, please wear proper protection.

BTW, aside from the two patents there is no proof this reaction works to any measurable extent, the patents give no yields so this may be a wild goose chase.

[Edited on 7/16/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

thumbup.gif posted on 17-7-2004 at 00:59
More details

I tried with 135-220 degree centigrate, and about my Iron powder I used rough powder (around 50 Mesh), My urea was melting at 135-138 degree and I get a molten urea (I used technical grade) it take about 15 minutes in oil path, and about my distillation tube (I ment connecting tube joint between the flask and graham condenser) and the white ppt. closed my tube, I try to distill hydrazine by distillation Column like used for Ammonia Distilling, I do not want to make hydrazine sulfate I need anhydrous hydrazine directly from urea, I did not tried to use an inert gas at distillation.
Note: I saw an orange ppt. in my flask when I was stoping heating.:(
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2004 at 13:30

For the process with iron the patent calls for temperatures between 140 and 150 C so you should try to hold it here. At the higher temperatures the urea may vaporize, may have been what clogged up your tube or possibly semicarbazide which can account for 20% of the urea consumed if this reaction runs to completion. It is not a fast reaction it should be held at temperature for extended lengths of time. Also the reaction may be highly dependent on surface area, 50 mesh iron might not cut it considering the lessened reactivity of iron in this reaction.

As for the orange precipitate, it could have been so many different things that I have no definite clue.

PS: How much iron powder did you use? It is customary to use a large excess, >50% by weight.

[Edited on 7/17/2004 by BromicAcid]

thefips
Harmless

Mood: self destructive ;)

[*] posted on 17-7-2004 at 15:16

Can someone please quote the synthesis?
As soon as I have more time,it would be a very interesting projekt.
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2004 at 17:59
Safty level

Okay.. I used 50% by weight (60g urea + 30g Iron powder) So I like to ask what about the time needed to produce all anhydrous hydrazine (30g), what about safty if I used glass distilling Column (with out an inert gas) and about toxic gas can I use charcoal to make high safty about Carbon monoxide and Iron Carbonyl by passing gas around it, and what about all other catalyst can do this better than Iron or Nickel!.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2004 at 03:04

I must be missing something here. Why does the chemical industry carry on using the Raschig process if they could just piss on hot iron?
Is there any evidence that this method provides any useful yield of hydrazine?
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2004 at 06:20
It was very slow!

I tried again with anhydrous hydrazine using iron powder (60g urea + 40g iron) and I saved temperature between 140-150 degree centigrate but the decomposing of urea wsa very slow and I get a few drops in 3 hours (1drop every 20minutes), So please advise me to make N2H4 easly.
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2004 at 13:52

Are you mixing the iron with the urea in your reaction vessel? If so, your iron catalyst is only being heated to the temperature of your decomposing urea, and that is probably slowing the reaction down. IIRC, you are supposed to pass the decomposition products across hot iron particles (which are heated externally).
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2004 at 17:03

Quote:

you are supposed to pass the decomposition products across hot iron particles

Where did you hear this? The patents state the combination of urea with the carbonyl forming metal and heating. Nickel supposedly yields hydrazine with urea in the 60 - 70 C range which is considerably lower then what you are proposing. Iron is run at a higher temperature because of the higher decomposition temp of the Fe(CO)6 and also due to the higher heat necessary for easy formation. Also I've seen the modification with molten urea being pumped through a bed of hot nickel pellets.

Unionised, I think this process is not used because of the incredibly low yields, possibly long reaction times/wasted heat input (and it might not even work).

SAM4CH, did you do any tests on your distillate to determine if it was indeed hydrazine? I am very interested in the quality/total quantity of your product.

SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2004 at 23:08
Not enough quantity!

I wasn't lucky to get enough amount of hydrazine to make a test, I got few drops (about 1mL after 3hours) I am disturbed about result, So please any one tell me about the best test for little drops.
I want to ask about the slowness of reaction and I think it might take 1day to make 10mL of hydrazine in this method. what about possibility of explosion during distillation process with out inert gas and using glassware.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2004 at 13:19

This reference
http://www.osha-slc.gov/dts/sltc/methods/organic/org020/org0...
should let you check for the presence of less than a microgram of hydrazine.
The colourimetric test isn't very selective and you can get misled into thinking there is hydrazine even when there is not.
The HPLC procedure is much more selective, but it's not a lot of use unless you have a laboratory.

It's sensitive enough that, when we used the same analysis at work, we were able to determine the concentation of hydrazine in commercial ammonia (and that's not a lot of hydrazine).
BromicAcid
International Hazard

cool.gif posted on 1-8-2004 at 17:04

Regarding the use of nickel powder in this reaction. I've found that nickel carbonyl is somewhat harder to make then I was initially lead to believe. After finding a prep specifically for its production I have the following useful bits of information to add to my hydrazine excursion by this method.

1. The slightest amount of oxygen negates the reaction and renders the nickel inactive.
  2. Hydrogen sulfide stops this problem in even the smallest concentrations.
  3. The reaction at 230C is only fast if the nickel is divided to almost pyrophoric levels, e.g, decomposition of formate or reduction of nickel chloride with a sodium dispersion in kerosene.
  4. A slight trace of mercury increases the reaction rate several fold, probably some in situ amalgam as usual.

Therefore I now have some modifications to my procedure.

Other interesting things I learned from the prep. Nickel carbonyl burns with a gray flame, and will explode without oxygen at about 350C according to the following reaction:

Ni(CO)4 -----> Ni + 2CO2 + 2C

Leaving a dark cloud in its wake from finely divided nickel (which may be pyrophoric) and carbon. Nickel carbonyl readily decomposes above 50C and the slightest contamination with air leads to:

2Ni(CO)4 + O2 ----> 2NiO + 8CO

The nickel floats around in the carbonyl as a 'flocculent' precipitate. Also carbonyls can have violent reactions with rubber stoppers.

Go To Top