Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Benzin/Benzene
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 13:27
Benzin/Benzene

I have doubts about Benzin being C6H6 which I can find in almost any store here. I've found MSDS's saying it's the same thing and others saying the one is coal naptha and the other petroleum naptha. But petroleum is derived from coal?!?

Could somebody please help me with the similarities or differences between the 2?

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 14:35

Hmm. "Benzin" sounds awfully close to the Swedish word "bensin" and identical to the German word "Benzin", both meaning "petrol" (BE) or "gasoline" (AE). That would make "Benzin" mostly octane, whereas benzene is C6H6, a characteristically cyclical hydrocarbon, not the same thing at all.

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 01:39

Benzin is commonly referred to as petrol or gasoline. It's a mixture of hydrocarbons, IIRC the second highest boiling fraction of crude oil.

It contains mostly alkanes (C6 - C8) and some aromatic hydrocarbons like toluene, xylene and benzene. Higher octane fuels contain a larger percentage of aromatic hydrocarbons.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top