Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Monoamine Oxidase and animals
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 07:43
Monoamine Oxidase and animals

Is every animal has monoamine oxidase, well at least in the greater form of life (i.e. mammal), or maybe it's related to the nutrition like carnivorous has it but not herbivorous.

I'm wondering that because one of my brother cat has been eating phalaris and now he's acting strange, and i was wondering if it's wasn't simply intoxicated by the DMT. I remember reading about sheep intoxicated but the are herbivorous so they surely has a different way of digestion than carnivorous (i.e. Cat)

Can anyone enlight me, also i was wondering which enzyme only are in the human body.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Reverend Necroticus Rex
Hazard to Others

Mood: Poisonous

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 11:16

Unless cats don't have monoamine oxidase for some wierd reason, then DMT alone would definately NOT be the sole reason for intoxication,

I'm not too familliar with the alkaloid content of phalaris species, but what about the possibillty of containing small amounts of related alkaloids such as 5-MeO-DMT or bufotenine?

Bufotenine is found in some toads, and is quite toxic, so I would at least take the poor moggy to the vets and have it given a check over, with any luck you cat is just busy tripping its 'lil furry ass off:D

Remember, humans aren't strictly carnivorous, so I can't see how MAO is related to digestion?

(Unless of course, the cat has also been munching on somebodies syrian rue plantation......LOL)

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by Reverend Necroticus Rex]

The sun is shining on a brand new day
Blackened corpses burn where they were slain
Self-flagellation prompts him to confess, Bless me father, for I made this mess.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 11:49

Well, I think we are mostly carnivorous due to our lack of enzyme for plant digestion, we can't digest the cellulosis (i think, or it's something along that), thus making us more canivorous than herbivorous. Anyway, phalaris contain 5-MeO-DMT too, which isn't active orally, but not buffoteine (at least to my knowledge)

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 18:25

Hmm, Blindangel, I don't understand your question/problem.
MAO is an enzyme that degrades monoamines, such as serotonin, or the psychotrope DMT.
Are you wondering whether dogs/cats have it?
Apart from the issue of oral uptake, all mammalian species more or less must have MAO and the corresponding neurotransmitters which MAO degrades. Whole brain regions depend on these neurotransmitters. They aren't just edited out from some mammalian species!

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top