Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solubility of SbCl3
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 13-8-2004 at 17:50
Solubility of SbCl3

the other day i was looking through my "lange's handbook of chemistry" and i stumbled upon a table that had many compounds and their solubilities in H2O at various temperatures. out of curiousity, i looked for the most soluble compounds. i found antimony trichloride and found that at 40 celcius, 1368g of it can dissolve in 100mL H2O. it said that at 72 celcius it is completely miscible.

does anybody here find it to be possible to continuously add SbCl3 to H2O and NEVER precipitate it? i'll throw around some figures:

121.760+3*35.45=228.119=1 mole SbCl3.
1368/228.119=5.996870055M=saturated solution of SbCl3 in 100mL H2O.
100/18=5.5555 (repeating).
there are more moles of SbCl3 than H2O at 40 celcius. therefore there are more molecules of SbCl3 than H2O at 40 celcius. the number of H2O molecules is only 92.64091942% of the number of SbCl3 molecules there are. the Sb+3 migrate towards the O end of H2O while 3 Cl- atoms migrate towards the H in H2O.

that makes sense, except the Sb+3 and Cl- are so close to one another when in this saturated aqueous solution that i don't see why they don't precipitate.

also i'd like to add that the above calculations are only for the 40 celcius reading; again, at 72 celcius SbCl3 is "completely miscible".

can anybody help me out?

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 13-8-2004 at 18:58

It's easier to consider this an eutectic system, the water acts to depress the melting point of the antimony trichloride (Mp ~73 C) and therefore make the system liquid at a much lower temperature, it is more the H2O getting between the weak bonding between SbCl3 molecules then actual solvation it would seem.

Also the melting point makes it clear why it is miscible at 72C, it is basically a molten salt at this point and it just happens to be miscible with water.

You could add enough SbCl3 to a volume of water to where it would precipitate some out or just not dissolve any more but then the whole mass might come out of solution as it might divide up the water between itself in such a way as to render the water in the system insufficent to keep everything liquid any more, another drop or two though and everything might go back into solution.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 14-8-2004 at 17:39
Antimony Trichloride

Interesting to note that if you have a large excess of water the chloride hydrolisized to the oxychloride. My recently purchased book "Advanced Inorganic Chemistry" states Antimony Trichloride can be isolated anhydrous from concentrated Hydrochloric acid!:D Since the trisulfide is HCl reactive, I will be searching for this next time. Purhaps when I have my CL generator completed, I could use it to make antimony pentachloride! This would be for organic chlorinations and ,if I can develope a stainless steel still, with anhydrous HF I could isolate the pentafluoride! Oh my I am getting carried away!:):o

Fellow molecular manipulator
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 14-8-2004 at 18:19

oh lord, don't make pentafluoroantimonic acid:o

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 14-8-2004 at 21:10