Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dissolution
fredhaster
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2004 at 07:04
Dissolution

Can someone explain what happen to a liquid or a solid (powder) product when it is diluted or dissoluted ? What are the importances of temperature and pressure.
Why an immobilized solution of sulfuric acid (during a long time) don't let appear to level, one of water and one of sulfuric acid.
Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 27-8-2004 at 08:51

Are you asking why don't water and H2SO4 form 2 seprate layers!? They disolve into each other sometimes quite exothermicly as I was reminded of the other day by my ruined shirt. When a solute disoves into a solvent they form a compleatly homo mix with the indavidiual ions(or mols) so small they can't even effect light like a colloid could.

What if, what is isn\'t true?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2004 at 12:38

I think he is asking two things, one is "can you help me with my homework?"

and the other is why they don't un-mix to some degree. The acid is denser so it should sink; the question is what stops this effect being noticable?
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2004 at 14:56

If one carefully pours a layer of H2O on top of concentrated H2SO4, without disturbing the latter, the mixing of the two would be slight, because of the much greater density and viscosity of H2SO4 Diffusion of the layers into each other due to Brownian motion would proceed slowly with liberation of heat. Only when the two layers are physically disturbed by mixing would the liberation of heat become substantial.

Mixing of two dissimilar liquids, as in chemical reactors, is an area of hydrodynamics of great importance to chemical engineering - see the early pages of Perry part 19, which also covers design of mixing equipment.

John W.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-8-2004 at 18:30
diffusion

I'd like to describe a related problem reported to me on my job for which I never heard much of an explanation:

We had a lot of ducting for radioactive gas and particulate control in my nuclear industry work. Every so often someone would tell me that the ducting was contaminated significantly upstream of the source. This is easily detectable with monitoring equipment often without even opening up the duct. The only explanation I could come up with was that diffusion was taking place in the stagnant boundary layer next to the duct wall. Other than accidental backflows, do other board members have any other explanations for this phenomenon? Has this happened to you?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 28-8-2004 at 02:22

I'm not sure if you ever had fluid flow properties magpie, but this is pretty normal for non turbulent flow. In a straight walled pipe the flow evolves to a parabolic velocity profile and the speed at the wall edges becomes virtually zero.

Quote:

If one carefully pours a layer of H2O on top of concentrated H2SO4, without disturbing the latter, the mixing of the two would be slight, because of the much greater density and viscosity of H2SO4

This is an EXTREMELY BAD idea. The mixture will rapidly boil at the boundary layer and geiser in your face. This is why one should never pour H2O on concentrated H2SO4.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-8-2004 at 05:27

Of course, boiling would be a form of induced mixing, and this mixing of the layers would itself increase the boiling. But, noting also that diffusion increases with temperature, this should not happen if the two liquids were sufficiently cooled to begin with - perhaps using frozen H2SO4 - and kept cooled, with the water poured dropwise or finely sprayed, very slowly, on top.

John W.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 28-8-2004 at 07:57

Quote:

perhaps using frozen H2SO4 - and kept cooled, with the water poured dropwise or finely sprayed, very slowly, on top.

Won't work, because the freezing point of H2SO4/water mixtures is lower than pure H2SO4. Your blob of H2SO4 will melt and cool down a bit. Then the trouble starts. You now have a very intimate mixture of liquid H2SO4 and H2O in contact....

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 28-8-2004 at 12:12

Vulture, knowing that you are a gentleman, I will assume that you were sincere in wondering if I had ever taken a fluid mechanics course. Certainly I have, and with top grade. I can't imagine, even today, that you could receive a degree in chemical engineering without that course.

I feel that having taken this course was what enabled me to formulate an explanation to what would appear impossible to a layman - flow in a counter direction to the bulk flow.

I posed the question only to see if others had observed this same phenomenon. :D

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 29-8-2004 at 00:59
Whoopsie

Sorry bout that. I realize now it was maybe a bit insulting.

I haven't observed the phenomenon myself (maybe I should hike down the chimney one day :D) but our chemical engineering prof has beaten us silly with it.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 10:52

Vulture,

I think I overreacted to your comment. It is just that I worked so hard for that degree! I'm sure you understand.:)

I think your professor is doing well to pound in the boundary layer concept. I think it is important, and not well understood by most.

Go To Top