Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Placement of very accurate scales.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 09:17
Placement of very accurate scales.

From my school chemistry lab when I was much younger than I am now, I remember that the very accurate scales (don't think they were digital but can't see that as making any difference) were placed on concrete pillars that extended below the building some distance down into the grown since they according to the teacher "wouldn't work otherwise".

I don't remember their accuracy but would assume it being in the 1/1000 gramme range or better (?).

Do modern scales with a similar accuracy still need to be placed on such fundaments or are they "smarter" (say averaging between hundreds of measurements per second or similar)?

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 10:56

All analytical scales nowadays have a "bubble" that allows the user to place them exactly level .

This is necessary because these scales depend on gravitation pull and any deviation can cause misreadings.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 11:08

Aha! So that's the reason, silly me always thought it had something to do with vibrations in the building.

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

Mood: swinging

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 11:28

Absorbing vibrations is very important, if the scales have the precision you said. Therefore most analytical scales are on special balance tables like these:

Visit the German synthesis collection LambdaSyn and our new LambdaForum!
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 13:17

Do these vibration/balance problems occur in mechanical balances?
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 13:50

Yah, they occur too.
Our analytical scale in the lab, going down to 0.0001 g or so, varies MASSIVLEY as soon as the door of the box is open. Also, it is indeed placed onto a solid stone foundation, which rests on hard rubber. At this resolution, all sorts of effects come in, predominantly air currents.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 00:45

Quote:

At this resolution, all sorts of effects come in, predominantly air currents.

No shit. Simply exhaling in the direction of the thing can cause misreadings of 0,005g. :o

I remember preparing YBaCuO (0,0001g accuracy needed) superconductor with these old (hanging basket, mechani-optical reading) scales. That was a major pain in the ass because of air currents, the moving basket which had to come to rest after putting something on, etc etc. :(

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 05:02

If you are weighing that accurate you have got to be very careful of static on electronic balances especially with gloves on. I got one of those old brass two pan balances (Ovetling) as an ornament. The service card goes back to 1948. Onyx bass, agate pivot, a pendulum to level it, mahogany case + glass, lead weighs to balance the front sliding door. I have lost the rider which could take it down to 0.00 of a gram. They were stuck in a cupboard where I used to work cause everything was going electronic. I offered to buy them but got them for free (one for my mom and dadjavascript :icon(':)';)
:)). I handed in my notice the following week
javascript :icon(':)';)
:)
mick

I still cannot work out these smiley faces but it is close enough

Typo

[Edited on 12-9-2004 by mick]

[Edited on 12-9-2004 by mick]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2004 at 13:08

When our lab moved about 10 years ago nobody thought about the balances much. After all, thy were just on the ordinary heayv timber benches. Then we installed them on the new modern benches and they wouldn't settle at all. We had to brace the benches to make them rigid enough. Oddly, the balance that was least affected was the microbalance (100ng resolution). Probably because it was on a vibration damping plinth.

Go To Top