Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rearrangement in sec-Alkyl halide preps
true_alchemy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-9-2004 at 16:46
Rearrangement in sec-Alkyl halide preps

Anyone familiar with typical rearrangements when preparing halides from sec-alcohols? For example, I know that 2-pentanol gives a considerable amount of rearrangment upon distillation with HCl and a salt but I don't remember what the biproduct is. 2,4-dimethyl-3-pentanol also rearranges if I remember correctly. What about 3-methyl-2-butanol, 3-methyl-2-pentanol or 3,3-dimethyl-2-butanol?
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2004 at 22:09

Maybe you are thinking of the carbocation problem.

SN1 reaction would indicate you form the carbocation of the alcohol and this reacts in a seperate step to form the alkyl halide.

+ charges tend to wander all over the molecule and sometimes this will break/form carbon bonds but the usual annoyence is just that this results in other halides being formed. 1 and 2 propanol will both give amounts of 1 and 2 halides and since secondary carbocations are more stable we'd expect the 2 halide to predominate. We also get this in freidel krafts reactions for example.

Some elimination products might also be expected with sulphuric acid...
true_alchemy
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 18:16

Thanks Marvin for responding. When it comes to generic terms for mechanisms I am at my knowledge limit. The term I use in my notes is "c-shift" or "carbon shift." The chlorination of 2-pentanol w/HCl gave , I thought, about 20% of something like 2-chloro-3-methylbutane. I could be wrong on the biproduct but I thought I was sure it was a "methyl butyl?" I couldn't find my notes. The rearrangement is generally only applicable to C5 and higher alcohols. I just made sec-butyl chloride this week w/HCl as I have done many times. The only noticable biproducts are butenes, and a trace of what is probably sec-butyl ether. IPA acts the same.
3,3-dimethyl-2-alkanols typically shift or rearrange to the 2,3 by about 60%. I think the majority of 2,4-dimethy-3-pentanol shifts to the 2,3 also.
Anyway I tried a branched C7 sec- alcohol this week and finished just a few hours ago and found that it had completely rearranged. Too bad! There is so much I could do if I could put a halogen wherever I wanted it. I have several other routes to try. Usually the isomers are too difficult to separate and such chloros are often not stable enough for distillation anyway.
Of all alcohols below C5, I only know of the isobutyl to be a problem but I dont know if I actually ever tried n-propyl. For C5 and above I don't know if I have ever had a sec- without rearrangement. Most tertiarys and many primarys work fine.

[Edited on 2-10-2004 by true_alchemy]

Go To Top