Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fun with silicon
Chemiker
Harmless

Mood: In suspension

[*] posted on 10-11-2004 at 15:52
Fun with silicon

does anyone know anything fun to do with silicon that uses very simple equipment?
i am just starting to outfit my home lab and all i have are some flasks, test tubes, and two seperatory funnels.

i am asking if anyone knows a simple synthesis that involves silicon. i have access only to very easily obtained chemicals, except that i have a 50 gallon drum of 98% sulfuric acid.

any help on this issue is greatly appreciated
thanks
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 10-11-2004 at 16:11

Silicon tetrachloride is one for starters. All you need is chlorine gas, and no high temps as far as I remember. Brauer I am sure has a prep for it, I can look it up if you want.
From SiCl4 you can obviously start making a number of interesting silicon based compounds, i.e. add NaOEt, and get Si(OET)4...
Want to know more?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 10-11-2004 at 18:32
What form is it in?

Silicon in powder form can be usied in thermite type reactions. Lump form may be more tricky. And I would say chlorine would react with silicon above about 400C I dont think it would be at ambient temperatures.

Oh just found this! Way cool! Maybe you could use argon as your inert gas. Sorry about the long post

Abstract: Magnesium metal was produced from dolomite ore under inert atmosphere using ferrosilicon as a reducing agent. The kinetics of the silicothermic reduction process was studied at a temperature range from 1150-1300 °C. The charges studied are in the form of briquettes. The parameters studied are silicon stoichiometry, temperature and time of preheating, calcium fluoride additive, molar ratios of calcium oxide/magnesium oxide, flow rate of inert gas, briquetting pressure, temperature and time of reduction process. The maximum reduction extent of about 92% was achieved when using charges in the form of briquettes containing 2.5 wt.% CaF2, CaO/MgO molar ratio of 1.6 and using silicon as reductant with its weight ratio/MgO equals 1.45 at 1300 °C for 5 hours. The discussion takes into considerations the type of intermediate compounds formed during the reduction and the mechanism of the silicothermic reduction process. It was found that the silicothermic reduction process of dolomite ore is a solid-state reaction controlled by diffusion of reacted species and the apparent activation energy obtained equals 306 KJ.mol-1.

[Edited on 11/11/2004 by chloric1]

Fellow molecular manipulator
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 15:18

I've heard that if you attach wires to a piece of silicon (using aligator clips, for example) it makes a photocell (resistor that changes value depending on light level).
Chemiker
Harmless

Mood: In suspension

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 15:35

as a reply to chemoleo, i would like to know more but i don't know what (OET) is,

and i have silicon chunks, about 4, 2 gram pieces, they are a little bigger than standard marbles.

what kind of vessel would i have to contruct/have to react the silion with the chlorine.

hodges i would like to learn more aboutthis phoo cel i could make, if you direct me to a site that would be great...or i could just go searching on my own.
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 15:43

Alloy the silicon with magnesium, this forms magnesium silicide.
When this is put into dilute hydrochloric acid, silane is formed, a flammable gas which self- ignites on contact with air.
This reaction looks really nice: bubbles rise to the surface of the liquid and burst into flames as they pop.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 17:02

NaOEt is sodium ethoxide, NaOC2H5. Et being short for ethyl.

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 19:09

If you make silicon ethoxide, you could add the correct amount of water and end up with a sol-gel. Wash the ethanol and water out with a supercritical extraction and you have an aerogel. Unfortunately, this last part is a bit hard.

You could try making Cl<sub>2</sub>Si(CH<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub> and making your glassware hydrophobic with this. For more information on this see this thread.

Go To Top