Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Storage of Manganese heptoxide
franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2015 at 05:02

Solvate crude Mn2O7 liquor in CCl4 to partition the acid impurities, decant those and remove the CCl4 by vacuum distilling. With pure Mn2O7 devoid of catalytic instigators, there's little reason for two inorganics to hypergol. There is ample comparison to blended inorganic salts and complexes and also dinitrogen tetroxide or hydrogen peroxide.

Speaking of oxidizers, one can try to peroxidate Mn2O7 to peroxy permanganyl Mn2O8 , with Mn(MnO4)2 (Manganese Permanganate) and Mn(SO4)2 (Manganese Persulfate) + H2SO4 ( Caro's acid ) => Mn(MnO4)2 + Mn(SO4)2 + H2SO4 => Mn2O8 + 2 MnSO4 + H2SO4
http://books.google.com/books?id=a4YGAQAAIAAJ&lpg=PA430&...
" unlike hydrogen peroxide, it (Caro's acid) does not reduce permanganates "

Permanganic acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanganic_acid

Mn2O7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPcfwiJcqSY

Fegie
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-10-2016 at 07:52

Quote: Originally posted by numos  

I agree, it does seem overly exaggerated, however one explosion is all it takes to destroy a life. Still it seems very difficult to detonate, I read that striking it (I forget where I read this, sorry :( ) can cause it to detonate, and I've tried smashing one drop with a hammer, it wouldn't detonate.

Hard to detonate?
Jesus i had just a drop of it detonate just now.
I dropped a drop of it on a piece of wood, instant detonation, loud enough to leave my ears ringing....
Also, my manganese heptoxide wasnt a greenish liquid, it was a black paste that had greenish outer layer, this has never happened before.
The longer i had it standing there in the container the more "puffed" it got, it kept expanding, becoming more and more solid.
I added a few drops of water to it, which was followed by small amounts of smoke.
After this i thought "something is not right" and i took the container far away from any property to a field and left it there, because i had no idea what the hell was going on...

Manganese heptoxide has NEVER detonated on me before, this scared me shitless, i dont think il be making this stuff in a while....

[Edited on 15-10-2016 by Fegie]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 14:06

Adding a few drops of chlorinated tap water to Mn2O7 would be a very interesting experiment.

I would expect the HOCl in the chorinated tap water to attempt to induce a higher valence state in the manganese, as occurs in Fenton-type reactions with hypochlorous acid with a Manganese salt.

The action of HCl appears to lower higher valence states.

The combined effect may be unsettling contributing to instability. Translation: boom!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 15:12

Why would one wish to store it ?

If there no immediate Purpose, what's the point ?

For example, if i wished to make nitroglycerine, i would do so.

I have no immediate need of nitroglycerine, so Storage would be a HUGE problem.

Perhaps there should be a new Topic :

Methods to Store Chemicals That Maybe One Day i Might Use, Maybe, if Ever.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top