Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beetles and Melatonin
APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 18-5-2014 at 22:42
Beetles and Melatonin

Ok, so today I found five beetles in my house. They've been pissing me off, so instead of just putting them outside or killing them, I captured these little intruders in a special container. But, this one uppity one keeps trying to fuck everyone, and it's gross, so I kept flicking the container to stop them. But, he kept tryin' to get some, so fast forward, me and my sister put a partially broken up chewable melatonin tablet in the container.

And... They're eating it!

Fast forward a couple minutes after everyone ate some, they started to move WAY slower, huddeled up together, and then started to barely move, and then not move at all. Then they got up again and started eating again, and the same thing happened.

The uppity one is repeating the cycle way quicker than the other's though.

My sister thinks the melatonin's making them think they need to hibernate.

Any thoughts?

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
thesmug
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 19:01

From the Wiki article:
Quote:

Many animals use the variation in duration of melatonin production each day as a seasonal clock.[20] In animals including humans[21] the profile of melatonin synthesis and secretion is affected by the variable duration of night in summer as compared to winter. The change in duration of secretion thus serves as a biological signal for the organization of daylength-dependent (photoperiodic) seasonal functions such as reproduction, behavior, coat growth and camouflage coloring in seasonal animals.[21] In seasonal breeders that do not have long gestation periods and that mate during longer daylight hours, the melatonin signal controls the seasonal variation in their sexual physiology, and similar physiological effects can be induced by exogenous melatonin in animals including mynah birds[22] and hamsters.[23]

In mammals, melatonin is biosynthesized in four enzymatic steps from the essential dietary amino acid tryptophan, with serotonin produced at the third step. Melatonin is secreted into the blood by the pineal gland in the brain. Known as the "hormone of darkness," it is secreted in darkness in both day-active (diurnal) and night-active (nocturnal) animals.[24] It may also be produced by a variety of peripheral cells such as bone marrow cells,[25][26] lymphocytes, and epithelial cells. Usually, the melatonin concentration in these cells is much higher than that found in the blood, but it does not seem to be regulated by the photoperiod.

The overdose of melatonin is making them think it's time to sleep. Also read the part about sexual physiology, it's making that one even more, for lack of a better term, matey. Hope this helps!

[Edited on 5/20/14 by thesmug]

Good eyes
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 14:10

Interesting if it seems to have an effect on their sex drive. What type of beetle are they? I'd rather expect them to to breed during the long summer days and that melatonin would inhibit libido if anything, but I can't turn up much research on the matter (you're the first Google hit, congratulations!).
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-5-2014 at 11:29

I think they're a darkling beetle sub-species.

My sister told me that beetles don't sleep and that they just hibernate. I don't know if that's accurate though.

Thanks for the info. Anymore thoughts are welcome.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 13:58

It's a time warp phenomenon.
You have captured the Original 5 Beatles from the 1960s.
All the evidence suggests it.
No musical ability, increased sex drive in one of them, and a predliction to substances.

APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 16:48

LOL

pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 20:05

after reading this and other stuff much more sinister I think is easy to manipulate the insect behavior.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/clavigerite-beetles-have-be...

"The beetles also employ curious behaviors, mounting and riding ants around the nest and twirling their antennae at passing workers" :D

Go To Top