Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: HMX via Bachmann route
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by Hennig Brand  
You have built some very neat things. I really like the drop hammer/impact sensitivity tester. For the melting point apparatus I would suggest a block, or cylinder would even be better, of aluminum with no fins and maybe even some added insulation would be a good idea. What works best is a large thermal mass. A large thermal mass resists sudden changes in temperature (the thermal flywheel effect), which is what works best when trying to get an accurate value for melting point. Fins are designed to allow the heat sink to transfer heat/energy to the surroundings as quickly as possible. I see that you did already say that it wasn't the best choice of heat sink, but I thought I would comment anyway.

You are absolutely right....hence I did reconstruct the contraption to a more suitable form for the task at hand:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=250&am...

I cut off the fins and added an insulating layer of wood (again perhaps not the best of choices for temperatures upwards of 280C) around the block of remaining aluminium. Works like a charm now :)

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 13:27

Nice looking setup you got there. I have been using a three or four hundred gram block of aluminum heated with a low flame on a propane torch and a thermocouple probe to measure temperature. Not very high tech, but with a good size piece of aluminum (fairly large thermal flywheel) and the thermocouple probe calibrated against a decent mercury thermometer the setup gets me reasonably close. Your setup looks quite accurate and sophisticated, nice work.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 14:04

Quote: Originally posted by Hennig Brand  
Nice looking setup you got there. I have been using a three or four hundred gram block of aluminum heated with a low flame on a propane torch and a thermocouple probe to measure temperature. Not very high tech, but with a good size piece of aluminum (fairly large thermal flywheel) and the thermocouple probe calibrated against a decent mercury thermometer the setup gets me reasonably close. Your setup looks quite accurate and sophisticated, nice work.

The PID controller+SSR combo that I constructed (I really can not remember for what purpose exactly) has so far proven to be the most versatile piece of equipment ever. I can use it to control basically any equipment that works off the 220V line and can be PWM-d. Starting from soldering iron and ending up with the HMX reactor or a melting point apparatus :)
But the key is to properly calibrate the sensor against a reliable standard if one wishes to get precise results. The k type thermocouples can be off several degrees, especially in the low end spectrum (say below 100C ). Always calibrate against the desired setpoint...the fact that the sensor is true at 350C does not mean that it will be true at 70C.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 17:51

I recently calibrated one of my k type thermocouple probes and meters against a good quality fisher scientific mercury thermometer at about 80C in hot water. I was aiming for about the melting point of TNT. It was off (low) somewhere between 2 and 2.5C. I have tested the mercury thermometer in boiling water too just to make sure it showed 100C. I have some cheap alcohol filled thermometers that read high by as much as 5C in boiling water. I don't mean to imply that only mercury thermometers are accurate however. I was going to go with an electrical resistance heater too, because of the great control which can be obtained, but I never got around to it yet.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 09:06

This temperature problem is why in lab we usually do mp testing in parallel inside glass capilarity tube.
Pure sample (or other compound with identical or close mp) vs the unknown/to test sample.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
nzyzaw
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-10-2018 at 09:16

please, why crude HMX and RDX mixture dissolved in hot water and don't crystallization
:(
nzyzaw
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 07:38

:D:D

[Edited on 25-10-2018 by nzyzaw]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top