Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: K4Cu(CN)3
brisance
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2005 at 07:43
K4Cu(CN)3

For my science fair project I am determining the mechanics of the luminol reaction with potassium tetracyanocuprate(I), K4Cu(CN)3. Does anyone know of a means of obtaining or synthesizing this reagent?
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 14-2-2005 at 09:24

First, check your formula and compund name: tetracyanocuprate would be Cu(CN)4.
Can't you work with something less deadly?
Sources would be in the electroplating industry and at a guess, the synthesis would involve dissolving copper or a copper compoun in a solution of potassium cyanide.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 14-2-2005 at 20:27

K4Cu(CN)3

Hummm...

Copper is in the +1 state you say...

The compound has a net charge of +2 then, what are the counter ions? This can't be all there is to the forumla can it?

No, it can't
Quote:
potassium tetracyanocuprate(I)

So [Cu(CN)4]K3 tetrahedral as would be expected from the position on the periodic table. Copper (I) compounds are not normally soluble in water, however cyanide will complex many metals and their salts into solution (see gold and silver refining). Simply taking a copper (I) salt like copper (I) chloride and adding to a saturated solution of potassium cyanide, followed by the addition of absolute ethanol or something else to drop the complex out of solution followed by filtering may work. Starting from CuCN however may afford you the simplicity of ignoring other ligands (aside from water) in the system and may result in a purer product.

[Edited on 2/15/2005 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top