Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Isotopic separation at home - can it be done?
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-6-2016 at 06:28

Its broken right now but I plan on getting it fixed
soon. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=58661&...

I've plan to use LiI for the first test lithium has 2 main isotopes and iodine 1. They are far enough in mass so even a small deviation from a weak magnet should resolve at least 2 dots on a screen ... Maybe 3

[Edited on 24-6-2016 by neptunium]

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 24-6-2016 at 06:30

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

These are good points but I think what unionised means is 'how would you follow enrichment progress?' E.g. the difference between the heaviest and lightest KOH is about 5%. To follow enrichment progress by titration (e.g.) of successive enrichments would be hard.

MS is what's really needed.

Yes MS is probably the easiest...but some of my propositions stil holds the line for OTC...
a) Density:
With good scale you can go to 3-4 digits but probably quite labour intensive because you need to dry the salt very wel and cristallize each time the same way.

b) Refractive index:
Should be sensitive enough but you need the two references

c) Speed of light into the media:
Should be sensitive enough but you would also need the two references

Change of molarity, molality, concentration
Probably the most OTC-ish...for example in my LiOH example, a simple acido-basic titration with universal indicator would get you the evolution of the enrichment.

d) Osmotic pressure:
This is very sensitive but requires a specific membrane only permeable to water.

e) the vapour pressure of solution:
Quite easy to determine but may lack of precision...except with a revolutionary ingenious project I'm working on to determine Molar Mass very OTCishly...if my pretests are successful, I will write a publication sothat every forum member may use this technique...from now on I have done the maths and found a beautiful formula that correlates 100% with another formula found for osmotic pressure meaning I must be onto something...my project should work for non infinitely dilluted solutions ;) and would thus increase the sensitivity of the MM determination.

f) the boiling point and the freezing point of the solution:
Some thermocouple or thermometers allows for easy and accurate T° determination to 2-3 digits...but I think it is not that OTC

g) the conductivity:
Probably the easiest and fastest way, also quite sensitive but you need references for the two.

h) radioactivity:
You need a Geiger counter and the two references

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 24-6-2016 at 08:14

Maybe I can convert my MDS Sciex QSTAR Elite qqTOF spectrometer into an isotope separator. I just need to find one other person in Toronto who's interested enough in physics to help me reassemble this bad boy.

qqTOS1.jpg - 83kB qqTOS2.jpg - 109kB

Now before anyone says they want one too, you can pick one up on ebay for 15 easy payments of $1,000:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AB-APPLIED-BIOSYSTEMS-MDS-SCIEX-QSTA...
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2021 at 09:48

Ha! long time quest ! the holy grail of the home scientist! isotopic separation!... Rather than "making" a Mass Spec i found one on ebay...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-Kj7fhpNg
Of course this is not an ICP so the sample introduction must be cranked up to the highest voltage and temperature this can go and only introduce inorganic compound. Otherwise it quickly becomes a messy forest of peaks from mass 17 to 2000...
I have been able to separate the isotope of Bromine and Mercury as seen in the video and a few more here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvoU3SLtYY
I have an idea for the sample introduction sensitivity increase and if it works I will share it here !
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-7-2023 at 15:09

It worked.. and I may have found a ways to separate lithium isotopes without a calutron... Stay tuned..
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 18:12

Yes

https://youtu.be/dxt1w5RNyIo
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top