Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NaOH in EtOH, colour?
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 17-5-2005 at 17:21
NaOH in EtOH, colour?

This morning I made some etch solution for polyimide (Kapton), cosisting of 6% wt NaOH in 80% wt EtOH / 20% wt H2O. Initially the solution was clear, but turned piss yellow over 45 minutes as I drove in to work. The etch solution still worked, but not as well as I would have expected. Is this colour change normal, or have I got some contaminant in there? The ethanol was distilled (twice) from a yeast ferment, and filtered with activated carbon.

Can anyone tell me what happend?
runlabrun
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-5-2005 at 03:15

it might be contamination from the container.. either from improper cleaning or the solution may have taken something from the material?
The reagent mixture should not have any colour, so the origin of your colour must be from some form of contamination.

-rlr
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 18-5-2005 at 11:37

Solutions of NaOH or KOH in ethanol, even using pure materials in clean containers, discolor on exposure to air. I have heard that this is due to the oxidation of the ethanol by atmospheric oxygen under strongly alkaline conditions, creating acetaldehyde which condenses to form colored products.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 18-5-2005 at 16:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Polverone
Solutions of NaOH or KOH in ethanol, even using pure materials in clean containers, discolor on exposure to air. I have heard that this is due to the oxidation of the ethanol by atmospheric oxygen under strongly alkaline conditions, creating acetaldehyde which condenses to form colored products.

I've seen EtOH/KOH solutions discolor as well. Dull yellowish. The odor changes, becomes mildly unpleasant, but it's barely detectable above the baseline alcohol odor. It happens faster with denatured ethanol.

You can get some pretty interesting products in small amounts, I'm sure. I don't have a mass spec rig handy to find out what they are, but I'd love to know if anyone here has familiarity w/ them.
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 19-5-2005 at 16:15
update

I cleaned some droppers in that vaguely unpleasant-smelling denat.EtOH/KOH solution. One of the droppers had traces of Fe(OH)3 and I think MnO2... not sure if this caused the change, but:

I noticed the alcohol went from smelling disagreeable to having an almost pleasant odor, like honey mustard and onion pretzels.

I really would like to know what's in it now.

Go To Top