Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HMTD prolonged synthesis
bajamar
Harmless

Mood: funky

[*] posted on 20-5-2005 at 00:02
HMTD prolonged synthesis

I guys, for intro, I am an analytical chemist, a PhD student. Anyway, I routinely produce HMTD with the standard procedure. However, I had no time to do the reaction for the required amount of time at once and therefore I froze the whole reaction mixture and continued with the synthesis for short periods of time the next two days. Afterwards I filtered out HMTD, and prepared it for cleaning and drying. The appearence of the solid was not the usual white powder but small sparkly crystals instead. I did some stability testing, as I expected stability to decrease with formation of visible crystals. I have not found any difference but the product seemed to have produced a slightly stronger explosion. Anyone with experience in such synthesis of HMTD? Does such discontinuous procedure have an effect on the product stability?
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 20-5-2005 at 09:37

Welcome to our board!

Well, I'd say that the interruptions during the synthesys will not only produce larger crystals, but will also create internal stress in the structure of the crystals. Not something to mess with if you need your fingers. After all, HTMD is known to decompose spontaneously and why taking an extra risk?
Since you are a chemist student that means you might have access to nice chems. Stick to other energetic compounds; there are plenty to "play with", which are much safer than the organic peroxides.

[Edited on 20-5-2005 by a_bab]
bajamar
Harmless

Mood: funky

[*] posted on 23-5-2005 at 03:35

Thanks for your response. Actually, due to time pressure and experimenntal work in other fields, I kind of wasn't much interested in meticulous work regarding other explosives. I have a fairly good and long experience in HMTD synthesis with one minor incident. Of course I am aware that organo peroxides are not ideally stable compounds overall but my "relationship" with HMTD has been quite positive. I did synthetize hexagene from hexamethylenetetraamine using 95%+ HNO3 but just making the acid that concentrated was time (and t-shirt) consuming. The product yield was not sufficient. The truth is that I have access to more fine chemicals but I need some inspiration.

Go To Top