Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: esters
The_Simpsons
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2005 at 12:58
esters

does it exist esters of sulfuric acid? i began wondering when i was looking up a word in a lexikon and found in the word ester that it could be formed by a alcohol and a carboxylic acid or a oxygen-containing inorganic acid,and i know nitric acid can, so can sulphuric and maybe perchloric/ chlorous acid etc form esters?

[Edited on 19-8-2005 by The_Simpsons]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-8-2005 at 13:49

Sure, dimethyl sulfate is such an ester, ain't it?

I know detergent is something like sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, one bond for the lipophile, other for the sodium ion hydrophile, and hence it breaks down grease. ;)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2005 at 13:51

If you would use the search function either in this forum or on the web pages in general you would find much discussion on sulphate esters. So obviously they exist.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top