Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Improved search
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 30-8-2005 at 01:29
Improved search

Chemoleo recently reminded me that the built-in search function for the board is rather pitiful and that Google offers an easy way to search specific sites. So I have updated the <A HREF="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/misc.php?action=search">search</A> function here to allow one to search Sciencemadness with Google or the old XMB board search method. I hope that this will lead to easier, more meaningful searching.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-8-2005 at 04:05

Nice job! Let's hope this will reduce my workload :D

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 30-8-2005 at 04:53

One strange thing with google search is that some of results are the 'reply with quote' page.

Like here the second result is a reply with quote page.

I love how you combined the logos.:D

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 30-8-2005 at 05:22

Great, thanks for the prompt response! :)

I noticed it's searching the pdf's from the library as well, so it's good we have a better bandwidth!

Also, some of the recent threads are not found yet with google. Anyone knows how long it takes (on average) to resume indexing on a particular site? So that we kind of know how recent the latest search results are.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
kyanite
Hazard to Self

Mood: lactamic

[*] posted on 30-8-2005 at 16:19

The latest 'refresh' seems to be have done sometime in March 2005.
For example, you can go: "posted on x-4-2005" and not find anything(I've actually gone through the 1-31), there are fewer hits for March, but there's still hits.

Unless I'm looking for something old, I'd rather use the board's search, because problems arise when google indexes urls that use the "latest post" feature(maybe even normal urls, not sure, have to go). I think what happens is that the pages change on our server, but the index stays old. And those reply with quote things are annoying because (I) can't differentiate them with the normals...

ps, I really like the logo, it made me smile:)
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 30-8-2005 at 17:31

Awesome, but maybe in terms of looks increase the size of the logo?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 1-9-2005 at 02:06

Hope Google lets us keep their "modified logo". :D Like it, but yeah, maybe it should be a wee bit larger?

Oh, and rogue chemist raises a valid point. Would it be possible to filter the results so that it's all posts and PDF's? Maybe figure out a way so that URL's with the string "reply" are not returned as search results?

sparky (~_~)

[Edited on 1-9-2005 by sparkgap]

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 14:42

I use firefox to cruise the net with and noticed that it is a simple affair (for some) to make new plugins for the search bar in the upper right hand corner of the browser. These plugins are good for a few other browsers too, like Netscape 8.0 and a couple others I think. So I was wondering if someone with the knowledge of coding required to make the plugin could do such a thing for the community (they even have a page where you just insert the information and it codes it all) but can it even be done for an XMB board I don't know.

Never the less I think it would be pretty neat, rather then loading up SM and hitting the search button I could just do a pull down and search. Not necessarily for the google search of the site but for the regular search using XMB software.

I was considering making a new thread of this but I figured it would go just as well here. And maybe we could get the shrunken down logo to accompany the new search bar as well.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top