Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ethylenediamine Dinitrate from AN
Sickman
Hazard to Self

Mood: Icy and I see!

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 01:00
Ethylenediamine Dinitrate from AN

As described in US4353758;
The easiest synthesis of it I have ever seen.
You start out making Ethylene Dichloride from acetylene and HCI. Then react the Ethylene Dichloride with ammonia to get Ethylenediamine which is then reacted with ammonium nitrate according to the patent to yield EDDN or even an eutectic of AN and EDDN by varing the reactants.
Any thoughts on this patent?
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 06:10

I thought the reaction of ammonia and ethylenedichloride to form ethylenediamine required higher temperatures, as well as pressure.

Not exactly easy to do with gasses.

On the note of a eutectic, sure, EDDN is supposed to be powerful itself. The OB of AN will be improved.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 08:20

Making 1,2-dichloroethane from HCl and acetylene is more difficult then that. I was planning on doing it to use as a precursor in a different reaction but I never found good reaction conditions. In the gas phase it can be a pain but in the liquid phase it can even be worse, solutions of high concentration soluble mercury salts are sometimes used as catalysts with the HCl and acetylene and even then you can usually only get one HCl to add across the double bond.

See: 1,2-dichloroethane from Acetylene and HCl

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Sickman
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 12:21
EDDN without nitric and sulfuric acids

I know the getting of the Ethylenediamine will still always be the most difficult part, but my point is that once it is had it can easily be reacted with ammonium nitrate to form EDDN according to the patent. Excluding the use of the usual concentrated nitric and sulfuric acids can save lots of money and worries. According to the patent the reaction between the ED and AN is an acid base reaction the product being EDDN and the byproduct being ammonia gas which is released and can easily be removed or utilised in various useful ways.

Note: Ethylenediamine can be had from photo/dark room supply shops or online for 8 USD per bottle. So it's not totally out of our reach and can be gotten OTC.

[Edited on 18-9-2005 by Sickman]
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 22:42

EDDN could be synthesized from normal 55% HNO3 and ED. It is only salt but not nitramine.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
Sickman
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-9-2005 at 10:44

Simply Red,

I think you missed the point of my last post and indeed this thread. It is not to display a new method of making the chemical: ethylenediamine. Rather it is to show that the high explosive ethylenediamine dinitrate EDDN can be manufactured easily and safely from nothing more than ammonium nitrate and ethylenediamine. As I already said if you don't know how to make ethylenediamine you can buy it over-the-counter. Did you even read the patent? Again the point of this thread is to show you don't need nitric acid or sulfuric acid to make EDDN, but simply use ammonium nitrate, which is more easily purchased and far cheaper than using the acids. Also in the patent it shows that by varying the the amount of AN and ED in the reaction you can end up with an EDDN/ammonium nitrate mixture that has a good Vod and can be cast loaded at low temperatures safely!:P
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 19-9-2005 at 13:52

I think the point you made is clear, and as NH4NO3 is easy to come by some I can see why this is an easier route than straight nitric acid.
Also, I was thinking that this could be possibly used to make i.e. urea nitrate, methylamine nitrate, etc etc.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 19-9-2005 at 14:55

Urea does not react with straight ammonium nitrate. Urea chloride does, thats why HCl is included in - UN from AN synthesis.

Strong base is needed to undergo substitution reaction with AN...

Strange, but here 55% HNO3 is cheaper than AN ..

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...

Go To Top