Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How do you ship beaker?
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 13:04
How do you ship beaker?

I've ordered three time over ebay for glassware lot and most of them had beaker in them, and most of them broke during the shipping (usually they were the only thing broken). So my question is, what is the best way to ship beaker, from what i saw, puttin them one into an other like russian doll, even with bubblewrap doesn't do the job. Anybody has experience on this?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 13:19

All of the beakers I've had shipped from lab suppliers were individually bubble-wrapped (including the opening) and put in a box with plenty of peanuts. It wasn't space efficient, but I never got a broken beaker.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 15:33

Mine have come like neutrino's or wrapped in bubble wrap tightly, then in a box, then in a larger box full of packing peanuts. I have never recieved a broken beaker, or any broken glass for that matter. I have also recieved them 'russian doll' style as well without problems.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 15:43

I've shipped and received, bubble wrap the beaker form fitting. Then put into a box at least twice the size and ball up paper loosely around it with large pieces, this has always worked well for me and it's fairly cost efficent. Somewhat on topic, I have sold a lot of things on eBay including glassware. On one occasion someone bought a piece of glassware from me and they claimed that they recieved it broken. They had requested insurance so I told them to take it to the post office and show that it was broken and that it was packed correctly (even got the form from the post office and filled it out to request the money for the insurance) the person however raised all kinds of hell saying that getting insurance on glassware was impossible and demanded a refund. I replied back with a strong letter saying that I wasn't giving any money back until they took the broken pieces and packaging to the post office. Then magically after three days of no response I got an e-mail that the person sent saying he had sent all the e-mails to the wrong person.... ?

Never the less, did you get insurance on these beakers? Was it avalible? And finally, does it really cover glassware if properly packed?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 20:02

I have only had one item break that I bought on eBay. It was a medium sized dessicator. The seller had not packaged it well and gave me back my money.

From then on I always asked the seller to package it carefully and mark it "Fragile - Glass." I haven't had any broken items since and I have bought a fair amount.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 27-9-2005 at 07:40

As i said it usually were lot, so 3 bearker broken on about 15 other kind of piece doesn't really count, so I don't mind, anyway usually the piece i was looking for is usually (luckily always up to date) intact. Still I have seen ppl thinking that newspapers is the ultimate protecting material.

So was simply wondering, if i do need to ship beaker one day, i'll follow your tips and don't bother about the shipment size.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED

Go To Top