Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LPG combustion question
littlepike3
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 17:29
LPG combustion question

Hello everyone, I am the currently the newest new guy. This looks like a good discussion board (just finished enjoying the discussion of shaped charges).

I'm a college student (College of the Ozarks, Missouri) with no background in chemistry besides highschool stuff. I am working on designing a recreational project. Basically it will involve a small cyclical apparatus (which I haven't fully designed yet) powered by a propylene/butylene (65%C3H6/35%C4H8) mixture combustion reaction.

Propylene combustion - 2C3H6 + 9O2 -> 6CO2 + 6H20
Butylene combustion - C4H8 + 602 -> 4CO2 + 4H2O

I need to know how to compute the pressure/temperature produced by the reaction (in a fixed volume) in order to properly and safely design the rest of my invention (which will hopefully turn out to be a better mousetrap, even if it's just for me).

Thanks a lot everyone,
-D
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 18:17

Hum, I'd guess adiabatic flame temperature to be in the 3500°F range. Propane alone (C3H8) is around 3300-3400, IIRC.

I'm sure you know that's with everything perfect and that any realistic radiation loss will sap a lot.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
littlepike3
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 22:30

Ok. So can I calculate pressure based on adiabatic flame temp?

P1*V1/T1 = P2*V2/T2
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:01

If your design has a nozzle in which the combustion occurs, yes. If combustion occurs outside your vessle/nozzle radiation and convective losses will be immense.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top