Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pellet press
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 15:23
pellet press

In getting materials needed for drying NH3 gas I judged that I couldn't use my CaO powder "as is" as it is too fine. So I decided to use KOH flakes (per garage chemist) or make some CaO pellets. Using a parallel path approach I finally found a reasonable source for KOH ($3/lb). Right after I ordered it my pellet making effort was successful. Oh well, I've been wanting some KOH for a long time anyway.

Here's a picture of my pellet press and 2 pellets. In the big one I added about 10% borax as a binder. This pellet is quite hard. The smaller one is made from pure CaO. It is also sufficiently hard. (I accidently dropped both on the floor with no damage.) I used my vice and held the pellets under pressure for 1 minute.

The smaller stud (1/4" bolt)in the wood base, the 1/4" bolt plunger, and the 1/8" brass nipple (2" long) form the pellet press. These sizes give a reasonably close sliding fit.

[Edited on 7-11-2005 by Magpie]

[Edited on 30-1-2007 by chemoleo]

pellet.jpg - 50kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Tacho
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2005 at 06:47

Great work Magpie!
I couldn't help but laugh at the sheer simplicity of it. I would probably waste money and time on a complicated design that, in the end, wouldn't work as well as yours...
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-11-2005 at 07:56

Thanks Tacho but I copied someone elses design. The only credit I can take is in knowing that I shouldn't have to spend thousands or even hundreds of dollars for a press.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top