Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Voltaic pile
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 16:03
Voltaic pile

I'm sure this is a very easy problem but I can't figure it out. How does a voltaic pile work? Different metals are stacked alternatley with an electrolyte in between. Say zinc and copper are used and NaCl is the electrolyte. How can a currnet be produced from Zn and Cu?? Only from Zn and Cu++ right? Unless maybe salt speeds up oxidation of Cu to CuO and that is reduced?

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 16:43

Nope, the copper is just present as an inert electrode. It can be made pretty thin. Zinc is where the energy is at.

What you get is Zn + 2H2O > Zn(OH)2 + H2, the H2 gas bubbles off (if you add the right ingredient, MnO2 for example, you can get extra voltage from the H2 gas, which is a fuel gas after all; "dry cells" use this very method). Electrons are of course produced as the zinc oxidizes, according to the oxidation potential of zinc: about 3/4 volt per cell.

The NaCl is also inert, providing ions for conductivity. It would work with pure water, but it ain't very conductive :D

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top