Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Teflon synthesis
Aaron-V2.0
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2003 at 21:54
Teflon synthesis

Well, I've been looking into giving a try at making a polymer since I read about it in my Organic Chemistry book today. The book showed a simple path from

TFE->Fe<sub>2+</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O ->PTFE

And the book states that putting the tetraflouroethylene into solution will cause a reaction that will warm to the touch. Of course would'nt TFE simply boil out of solution and exist as a gas above the liquid?

Then I found this on some web searching.

Yee... Hydroflouric Acid! :(

Now I've done some searching on the US Patents website but I couldnt find anything (I think I'm using the wrong terminology) and most search engins spit out about the Dupont scientist found that a Freon container had frozen and compressed yielding a white chunk of Teflon. That's a third route to Teflon. I know there will be many diffrerent routes to polymerisation (Sp?) of tetraflouroethylene but has anyone tried this?

Also I decided on trying PTFE because of the availability of TFE (In aerosol cans for computer cleaning)

EDIT: Also in the Nylon Synthesis Blind Angel mentions that C<sub>2</sub>F<sub>4</sub> + HCl will yield PTFE.

Dang, I should tack this onto the Nylon Synthesis thread now that I know it's there...

[Edited on 13-3-2003 by Aaron-V2.0]
BASF
Hazard to Others

Mood: hydrophilic

[*] posted on 13-3-2003 at 09:28

Quote:

a Freon container had frozen and compressed yielding a white chunk of Teflon.

Wow!....that´s impressive....

What about trying THAT?.......but keep in mind: freon is ozone killer no.1

Aaron-V2.0
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2003 at 20:53

I'll check at the welding supply store where I get my O2, Ar, Acetylene, CO2 and whatnot. And dont worry, I'm not one to worry about Mother Nature. She'll enjoy those loose gases!

But really, I'd rather obtain Teflon by an actual synthesis rather than freezing a gas bottle and cracking it open with a sledge hammer. :D

Go To Top