Mood: experimental

[*] posted on 15-1-2006 at 07:09
separating solvents

I found a solvent which contains

methanol -bp 64.7c
methylene chloride -bp 40c
toluene -bp 110.6c
acetone -bp 56.3c

It would seem to me that if you possessed an organic distillation kit that you could simply just keep the temp constant at certain temps to distill over certain chems.

Is this how it would work? It seems a little too easy, because chems evaporate at temps lower than their actual boiling point, so I'm just wondering if these are separable.
ADP
Hazard to Others

Mood: Productive

[*] posted on 15-1-2006 at 08:33

Is there a certain solvent you are trying to isolate?
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 15-1-2006 at 08:34

The distallation kit has a thermometer so use it to collect material coming out at the temperatures ...first the methylene chloride will be out and so on......then you have to contend with the *azeotrophes which will not be easy to remove .......in that order......solo

*Mixtures of liquids when distilled may reach a stage at which the composition of the liquid is the same as that of the vapour, this is known as an azeotropic mixture. there are Homogeneous and Heterogeneous mixtures

Heterogeneous mixtures do not have uniform composition and properties throughout, while heterogeneous equilibria involves substances that exist in more than one phases (i.e. gas and liquid).

Heterogeneous azeotrope refers more to the later, or simply put, a mixture that exists in more than one phase at a particular concentration and temperature while maintaining similar composition in both phases.

It is interesting to note that azeotropic boiling points are often much lower than the original boiling points of it's component substances.

http://www.chemeng.ed.ac.uk/people/jack/azeotrope/hetero.htm...

The Homogeneous mixtures are more commonly encountered....

http://www.chemeng.ed.ac.uk/people/jack/azeotrope/access.htm...

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
lacrima97
Hazard to Self

Mood: experimental

[*] posted on 15-1-2006 at 18:51

Ohhhhh, so you are saying to boil off the azeotrope first, and then the semi-pure chem. Thanks. I really can just buy all the chems separate, but I was just interested. Thank you.

Go To Top