Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Home Chemistry and parents/friends/other people - the dangers of stupidity
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 13:59

Being young is amazing. I dimly remember when i was.

Fact is that if you're living with your parents, you Must respect the fact that it is their home (nest) that they made as a place to safely raise You and your siblings (eggs).

Introducing unnecessary dangers, such as making TNT or HCN in your bedroom is seriously biting the hand that feeds you, and betrays a trust that your parents Assume exists.

All potentially dangerous chemicals should be beyond the reach of all but the most determined 12 year old with 8 hours to spare, which is plain common sense.

Dangerous chemicals should Never be present in a Home setting. Never Ever, in any amount.

For Americans there is a company called Arrow that make a cheap steel flat-pack Shed which is 3m x 2m.

Sounds small (it is) yet mine has a lab with a fume hood in one corner and a hell of a lot more besides.

Earn/beg/steal a couple of hundred bucks and buy one - you can Lock it too.

szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 13:00

I just get worried because maybe its by luck but I never endangered my family but I also was in college when I started truly experimenting (I dont consider taking apart fireworks at 15 experimenting) so I knew kind of what to avoid.

I just dont want to see someone seriously mess up their life because they thought they were being "cool" the only cool thing is learning, if you are not learning something from doing it then its not worth it. If your synthesizing something be sure to try to find the electron movement and diagrams and stuff, thats the fun part its like a puzzle. If your making fireworks do some redox equations to show what your doing.

Part of it is worry and part of it is jealously. When I was 14-19 I had to do theory and "play pretend" by doing the equations and just imagining what it would be like to synthesize or have a home lab. I would have been amazing in my undergraduate classes if I did it, I aced the labs but I could only imagine how easy it would have been if I was lucky like some of you. I really just want to see someone come out better then me because of his access to this website that I did not have. Good luck to you all and use the knowledge for good. Chemistry is really the only discipline that comes with a choice, will you use it for good or evil.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 16:36

I've got two younger siblings that are far ahead of their age in intelligence and maturity; my family shows a lot of respect for my lab equipment and they're very accommodating of it in general. Most of my family, especially my younger brother, are quite happy to watch some of the reactions I do or see the end products. The cat knows what's up, too.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 16:57

It's true that I keep my chemicals unlocked. I have a complete MSDS binder stored in the same cabinet though, and I have all of the reagents stored in an orderly fashion with chemicals that would react stored far apart from each other. Everything's labeled with NFPA labels that also contain the most important safety and storage information for each reagent. As I said previously, my parents don't mess with my stuff, my pets don't go in the garage, and there's nobody else living at my house. Otherwise, I'd go to the trouble of locking it up.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-3-2016 at 12:57

Since I couldn't find an extra pair of gloves my dad wanted me to work without them :/
I was using Sulfuric acid and another time Magnesium dioxide which stains. Luckily I found my gloves.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 12:49

Spring for some industrial space. Your supply sources will expand geometrically.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 14:05

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Spring for some industrial space. Your supply sources will expand geometrically.

$3000 a week in the rural.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 20:28

Cou, that rate isn't rural. That is suburban. In Albuquerque you can get industrial space for under $1 per sq ft. In a texas metro area it is higher. But get in the actual country and it drops to half that or less. I mean unless you need 6000 sq ft in a rural area.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 20:46

I keep things locked up and don't show people what I am doing. Of course, this occasionally leads to people rudely bursting in expecting to find a meth lab when I'm just doing a boring titration or distillation.
Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 06:48

My family isn't stupid, but they do a good job of acting like it. Here are some notable examples:

- My annoying little brother wanted to make some quick bucks, so he took some glass from my bench, wrapped it in his PE strip (gym clothes), and demanded a ransom the next day, or else he would break it. I said he'd need to buy a new PE strip after he returned my stuff. He was like "wat", confused, so we went to his secret locker to see the glass hostage. It was was distillation stuff, dirty from distilling Sulfuric Acid, and it had done a fair job of dissolving his PE strip. Needless to say, he basically begged me to take it back. NOTE: I knew what he had took because it was missing from my bench when I went down to clean up a few hours after the distillation.

- I had this Sodium Hydroxide solution sitting around, just before an experiment (The beaker was labelled 'A' or something). I went upstairs to get some paper towels or filter paper or whatever, and when I came down I saw my mom tasting it. I was like "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING" and she put it down really fast as if she was never even touching it. (NOTE: She has a PHD and stuff and she's survived all these lab explosions and labs going to hell/etc and she thinks that she's invincible.) She's like, "Oh, just looking around". A few hours later, she was like "My mouth and feet hurt really bad. Could any of your chemistry stuff have gotten into the house or something?". I was like nope. Where drops of the solution had spilled on her it was now angry red spots near her feet. I suggested that she doesn't drink unlabelled containers of chemicals, and I got grounded in an instant.

- For some reason my family is really scared of Alkali metals, I don't know why. I came home with these 2 vials of Lithium, probably10g total, and someone found them in my backpack. An hour later there were 4 policemen in the living room. Another time, I spent a few hours making sodium by electrolysis. I'm really bad at it, so I only had a small bead of the stuff. My brother saw me filling a bucket with water in the driveway, saw my sodium in a paper towel in my hand, and put the pieces together. He ran outside and yelled to neighbors (summertime, lots of people outside) that I had explosives and was going to be doing 'illegal'. Nobody was within 50 feet of me.

- So this will be my final example of witnessed stupidity. I'm in this AP chemistry class at school, its pretty great. So something weird I've noticed is that most of the other kids are really good at getting marks (like 96 - 98% usually) on the memory based tests, but they don't seem to handle open ended or more original questions as well. Anyway. We had our first lab coming up, and I didn't really think that their lack of in-the-moment thinking would affect anything. I'm glad no SM members were there to witness it.

It was really simple, it involved Dehydrating, rehydrating, and reacting Copper Sulfate with an Iron nail, and our group finished in 20ish minutes. However ~40min later, groups and people were still freaking out. It was sort of like that moment in a movie, when the hero kills the robot master, and all the robot minions are left helpless and retarded. Kids were frozen like old computers, or shaking and blinking like chemistry was a foreign language. In the wake of all this, test tubes were breaking and stuff was getting spilled, and SURPRISE, nothing was working (even though it was so simple). Anyway, it got done, but it took quite a bit of this.

Fast forward a week or so, and we received our lab reports back. Most kids had kept up their averages with 8 or 9/10s. I got a 4, since I didn't underline the title, or draw boxes around my graphs. Like 1 mark was taken off for every line missing. I really had no words, since most people in the class had copied off me. I feel like there's a moral to this one, but I missed it.

[Edited on 28-3-2016 by Daffodile]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 11:09

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I keep things locked up and don't show people what I am doing. Of course, this occasionally leads to people rudely bursting in expecting to find a meth lab when I'm just doing a boring titration or distillation.

Had that happen. The Fire Chief, bless his heart, after two minutes looking around said, "Nothing to see here, ordinary household chemicals."

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 11:19

I remember waaay back when I was in junior high, we made barium sulphate in the school lab, as a demonstration of a precipitation. The teacher, knowing my love of chemistry, allowed me to keep it (there was probably about 10 or 20 milligrams- it was a very small scale). I had it in an open vial in my bedroom, and a friend who was visiting picked it up and turned it upside down to look at it. He did the same thing months later with a shotgun shell from which I had removed the pellets but not the powder.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top