Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thermite-Iron Oxide Q
Cappy
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2003 at 20:38
Thermite-Iron Oxide Q

I've created some iron oxide by electrolysing some steel nails.

I need to know if there is a way to distinguish iron (II) oxide from iron (III) oxide or if they are mixed homogeniously.

I've heard that FeO is a black, while Fe2O3 is reddish brown. This would make sense, since a small amount of finer black powder was formed. It still has the rust smell, and I think it was too much to be carbon from the steel.

Anyways, if the FeO and Fe2O3 are mixed, I need to know what the average ratios are.
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

[*] posted on 29-3-2003 at 21:08

maybe something like this hapened

2O2 + 3Fe --> FeO + Fe2O3

i doubt it was that organised though. i bet alot of the FeO colr was drowned out by the Fe2O3

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Cappy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-3-2003 at 21:19

In order to calculate the stoichiometric ratio of aluminum to iron oxide, I will assume that it was 100% Fe2O3.

This is not 100% accurate, but I believe I lost most of the small amount of FeO created in titration (particles were so fine, that they did not settle well).

After drying and crushing the powder to a flour-like fineness, it has a uniform color that is roughly light/medium brown.

Does anyone know if I will be able to crush aluminum powder? Will it just mash together into larger clumps since it is metallic?
Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 29-3-2003 at 22:23

Im not sure but id guess it to be high % Fe2O3, i thing reducing it to Fe2+ would take alot of energy but i could be mistaking.

CTR
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2003 at 20:07
iron oxide source

Black iron oxide can be obtained from shops that use oxy-acetylene torches (and plasma cutters?) to cut steel sheets and bars. The slag is often free if you will bring a few 5 gallon buckets, a shovel and offer to clean under the tables. It is good to mix with your mulch pile for the garden if your soil lacks iron. Sift the slag through an aluminum window screen. Recycle the chunks through the screen after you break them up and remove the steel chunks. Repeat until you have all the oxide broken up. Wear a mask and do it outdoors as it will be dusty and dirty.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

biggrin.gif posted on 23-7-2003 at 18:08
the making of iron oxide

Just to point out,
iron oxice (Fe2O3) can be made very easily from common rust, or electrolysing iron in a slightly acidic solution. The resulting iron hydroxide/oxide (red brown) then has to be washed, and DRIED at high temperatures, any kitchen oven should do.
Just the stuff you need for thermite :D .
Dont worry about FeO, this is Fe2+ and gets oxidised rapidly in solution to Fe3+. Also, the black iron oxide you can buy in certain stores is neither FeO, nor Fe2O3, but a mixture i.e. FeO:Fe2O3. it is ferromagnetic as far as i remember. Probably can be used for thermite, but havn't tried
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 23-7-2003 at 22:54

I remember calculating Fe<sub>3</sub>O<sub>4</sub>'s enthalpy of formation and it being larger than that of the sum of FeO's and Fe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub>'s.

JJ
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2003 at 08:42
alum. powder

alum. powder has to be ground not crushed. it may be better to start with a very fine powder like air milled ect...

Go To Top