Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: equation to make sodium carbonate from acetone and sodium hydroxide
msdaniellepohlman
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 16:09
equation to make sodium carbonate from acetone and sodium hydroxide

hey i'm working on an organic chem lab which wants to know the equation of how the side product of Na2CO3 is formed when acetone is added to sodium hydroxide. I can't seem to figure it out and i've been searching for a while.

2NaOH + CH3COCH3 --> Na2CO3 + Don't know what goes here? CH3OH .. WATER?? HELP!!

any help would be great. thanks so much can't seem to find anything online or in text books.

-danielle
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 19:15

Well, if it's without air and water, the only thing it can do is break down the carbonyl (-CO-) and form carbonate. Lesse:

2NaOH + CH3COCH3 = Na2CO3 + something
Offhand, that would actually balance to CH3CH2CH3, propane, if the one oxygen were removed from one acetone and replaced with the two hydrogens from the sodium hydroxide. But that would be a reduction (of both the hydroxyl and carbonyl), which AFAIK simply doesn't happen.

If water is added, it doesn't change much, but if oxygen is added, you could turn the active site -CO- into O=C=O, or CO2, which reacts with 2NaOH to form Na2CO3 + H2O. That would break the acetone into two -CH3 (methyl) groups, which tend to be reactive and not exist, so a whole mess of reactions could happen, with methyls combining (CH3-CH3 is ethane; probably a rare reaction, if it happens at all), reacting with say water (CH3 + OH = CH3OH, methyl alcohol; the high pH would have an excess of OH's that would make this possible), or more acetone to stack up all sorts of other messy molecules.

But I'm no organic chemist so I have no idea what would mostly happen. AFAIK, acetone just forms a gooey, colored, indefinite mess when you add acid or base.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top