Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: longevity / immortality
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 17:37
longevity / immortality

this price are very ridiculous for this big thing, no?

Palo Alto Longevity Prize
http://paloaltoprize.com/

in this article some good and some ridiculous "tech/approaches"
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/11/-sp-live-fore...

this people are putting Bilions in this area.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 17:59

Aubrey de Grey: A roadmap to end aging: http://youtu.be/8iYpxRXlboQ

[Edited on 16-1-2015 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 18:11

From my intensive online research, I think the elixir to reverse ageing has already been invented. I saw an ad for it.. "Doctors hate her - Stay at home mom finds weird trick to reverse ageing."
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 19:12

Quote: Originally posted by pneumatician  
this price are very ridiculous for this big thing, no?

Palo Alto Longevity Prize
http://paloaltoprize.com/

in this article some good and some ridiculous "tech/approaches"
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/11/-sp-live-fore...

this people are putting Bilions in this area.

Indeed a "million dollar prize" for something worth uncounted billions is ridiculous.

There are two sobering thoughts about the possible consequences of a cure for aging:

1. It is cheap and available to everyone.
With no one dying from age the only way to stabilize world population is for everyone to stop having children, except for replacements for deaths due to accident or non-age related disease. An accident-only lifespan in an industrialized country is on the order of a few thousand years.

2. It is really expensive and only available to the very rich.

Suppose ending aging had an amortized cost of $100 million (that is, a trust fund set up with this amount would suffice to keep one person from ever aging).

There are about 1500 billionaires in the world, with a combined wealth of $7 trillion or so.

We may assume billionaires don't want to age or die, nor have any of their close kin do the same. Then we get a few tens of thousands of people that are not only very rich, but never die. A perpetual immortal oligarchy cut off by wealth and immortality from the rest of the human race.

Up until now even the poorest person always knew that the richest man in the world would not live forever. Even though the poor man might die sooner, at say 50, the richest man is unlikely to live even twice as long.

A cure for aging would be the most radical event in human history, exceeding even the Industrial Revolution in its implications.
Mesa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 20:25

Did entropy go out for a smoke break? Why is this even worth debate?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 21:23

You can NOT stop aging. Nothing lasts Nothing.

The best that could be hoped is to restore this planet to a healthy state, and this Planet will support our lives longer.

It's too simple to be seen.:cool:

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 21:33

Eat right, sleep tight, die anyway. Better get some shits and giggles in while you can.
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 23:29

Even if medicine had evolved to the point where it could keep a persons body alive indefinitely; brain cells will deteriorate over about 300 years. There is no possible Deus Ex Machina for this because attempting to repair/replace results in a brain that isn't yours.

I explained that poorly but I am feeling somewhat aphasic right now.:(
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 03:39

Slice the brain with a microtome, map each and every connection and simulate on a computer.
Or if you are fond of existing in real-life, 3D-print a healthy replacement brain.

But really, humans evolved to have the lifespan that they do. There is no good reason to assume it can not be altered, and many experimetns have shown that to be a possibility in other organisms.

A very nice recent example was this <i> Cell</i> paper in which they demonstrate that the lifespan of a fruit fly is greatly increased by introducing a third copy of the <i>azot</i> gene.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 05:13

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
Slice the brain with a microtome, map each and every connection and simulate on a computer.
Or if you are fond of existing in real-life, 3D-print a healthy replacement brain.

Without trying to get into any quasi-philosophical debate about extistances of souls etc, the old addage regarding the existance of consciousness: "I think, therefore I am," does not include a caveat, "It thinks, therefore I am."

Quote:

But really, humans evolved to have the lifespan that they do. There is no good reason to assume it can not be altered, and many experimetns have shown that to be a possibility in other organisms.

A very nice recent example was this <i> Cell</i> paper in which they demonstrate that the lifespan of a fruit fly is greatly increased by introducing a third copy of the <i>azot</i> gene.

Yes, I doubt many people will argue with you when you say "We won't die as much if we get better at not dying!" However the topic material is specifically "Immortality" And entropy just got back from smoko...

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 12:15

My posted link above is fixed. You all really should watch it if this topic is intriguing to you.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 12:34

It is an intriguing topic but the simple fact of oxidation prevents immortality.
The only people pursuing this are the same nuts that are attempting to globalize, and control humanity.

Imagine living forever, and the entire planet is you slave state?

Jimmy Stuart just rolled over. It once was "A Wonderful Life". Now? The Bilderberg folks will take care of us for eternity.
I can hardly wait.

Back on topic... I suppose if you can control oxidation of cells/molecules/atoms... something could come of this but getting back to my first response... The planet will not be here to support this. The sun is expanding. The earths poles are shifting. The climate is changing exponentially...

I'm not a brilliant guy but doesn't all that make immortality a moot point?:mad:

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 19:30

The elite control you and me and future generations no matter if people live 30 or 300 years. what is "a year"? the time our planet takes to go round the Sun, so now what is time? time exist? really or metaphorically?... :)

inclusive in the rich people exist a lot of idiots and religious fanatical so these people are againts "the will of God", prolong life is "Satan's work for sure" :D

the problem of overpopulation is only a question "of time", well in reality no time for this problem to come because the overpopulation is here and now!

Meet 100-year-old salamander
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/29152/...

this guy live so long?

Go To Top