Printable Version  
Author: Subject: standard solutions?
Chemist514
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 30-6-2006 at 16:09
standard solutions?

Ok, my problem is this..

My chemistry set requires a few non included things...

"hydrogen peroxide, 3%" : I bought this... I found 35% at at hydroponics store for my "stamp collection of chems" no problem.

"denatured alcohol" : bought... its for the alcohol lamp. no problem. I bought a better lamp too, and a torch for high temp...

"sodium hydroxide, 1mol/l (=4%)" : I asked a guy at work to have it made up for me. last time i asked he gave me a small bottle of pellets! I found for different formulas for solutions, which one do you think applies? they ask for that and thats 2 different ways to make solutions from what i see. i guess it doesnt matter at this level but id like to be sure.

Hydrochloric acid, 2mol/l (=7%) : haha, same guy but hes a geologist and he has tons of this solution to show students how to detect carbonates or something, its 10% but i know its 10%.. ill try to rework whatever crops up from there. wince! also bought some at a hardware store at 31.45% for the colection... but i dont have 7% or 2mol/l exactly. sigh.

silver nitrate solution, 1% I bought 25grams A.C.S from a local chemical place. wow. like 70$ I need to shop around as im a real adult with a job and dont like being treated like a meth cook/chef whatever! I got a service charge for being a cash sale with no account and another for an individual sale.
I could go back and buy premade solution (VERY expensive)...
why no mol/l mentioned in the list of things to get? just 1% this time. confusing.

Actually just for people like 12AX7 who just make there own chemicals.. thats the way to go. Best of luck to you guys always! I have spent more then 800$ canadian so far just on A.C.S versions of all the chemicals in my kids chemistry set.. I plan on taking up this hobby very seriously after going through that with the kids so the expensice is fine with me but fear and new "safe" laws keep me looking at options as sources in the future... example : I found solid sodium hydroxide drain cleaner in a hardware store, no idea on percentage but no other contents on label, maybe itll save me 50bucks down the road when my little bottle of A.C.S pellets is gone.

P.S : sorry bought the rant in there... but i just had a "what about kids getting hurt buying this stuff themselfs" argument with my wife for her thinking i should have to run around this much...
Chemist514
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-6-2006 at 16:22
If some parent is looking for a set...

Id recommend looking at the CHEM C3000 Thames and Kosmos as its most like the old chemistry sets we'd remember... All the others I could find were very simplified to the point of not having anything you will find in the most basic of labs in them.
Chemist514
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 06:21

Ok, im going to go with most basic calculation I can find and use the %'s as im really sure it wont matter much for some time.. Though peeps really seem to like using that M value.

Sodium Hydroxide Solution 4%, weigh out 4 grams of NaOH and then 96 grams of water and mix...

Silver Nitrate 1%, 1 gram of solute and 99 grams of solution...

I will continue to search in old threads as I saw this topic has been covered before a few times. sorry to have raised a dead horse for you.

All the best.

Go To Top