Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Taste of different acids?
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 22-12-2016 at 05:37

The toxicity of HF resides with the fluoride anion. Various dental care products contain fluoride, most commonly as stannous fluoride, but even NaF has found use. The levels are up to a per cent or two. So....

I'm all for chemical safety, it's part of the reason that I'm still around. However, certain chemical's risk factors have taken on mythic proportions, and HCN and HF are two of them.

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2016 at 08:21

After 5 pages, I'm a little surprised that nobody seems to have mentioned picric acid.
PeterC
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-12-2016 at 10:45

Picric acid is very bitter (that's how it got its name), but it should be semi-safe to taste when serially diluted.
NitratedKittens
Hazard to Others

Mood: Carbonated

[*] posted on 22-12-2016 at 16:01

Quote: Originally posted by ave369  
I've found a Youtube video of a Russian-speaking MORON who tasted HF (the moron survived, so no Darwin award here). He describes it as "like tasting hot vinegar".

Quote: Originally posted by BobD1001  
Having had an accidental whiff of HF, I can tell you it smells much like an off vinegar but with much more sting to the nostrils and back of the throat. I'm assuming it may taste as such also, just not wanting to be part of that experiment!

Ok, so that's two matching sources about HF, now we know how that tastes.

Basket of kittens for you ........BOOM
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2016 at 16:26

I can provide a third report on the smell on HF. I once accidentally set a small amount of air duster on fire (was working with it near a lit candle), and before I exited the room I inhaled a small amount of the vapor released from the fire. This contains, among other things, hydrogen fluoride. I didn't get enough to cause any real toxicity, but I do remember a smell like chemically Tabasco sauce-- vinegary but with some irritation in the back of the throat.
aurora369
Unregistered

[*] posted on 15-1-2017 at 02:01

Quote: Originally posted by DrP  
That Russian survived. Was there any lasting damage to him?

I think there was, in the form of a ginormous dentist's bill.

There is a fourth report, an anecdote from another Russian chemist, slightly less moronic, but still not very smart. He brought home a plastic bottle of HF, unmarked, and put it under his bathroom sink together with household chemicals. His mother thought it was vinegar, and attempted to wash a china cup with it. The china was damaged, and the old woman thought it was bad fake china. The story doesn't mention any direct immediate damage to the old woman, so I think she also got a drastic increase in dentistry bills but nothing else.

Edit(woelen): User aurora369 is the same as user ave369.

[Edited on 16-1-17 by woelen]

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top