Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Police Drive-By
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 19:12
Police Drive-By

I was working out in my lab this late-afternoon/evening when a police officer drove by, while I was outfitted with my goggles and everything. I'm guessing he didn't think I was making drugs or anything since I didn't try to hide, but I'm still a little worried... I'm not doing anything illegal, but I haven't been documenting my work extremely well.
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 19:28

welcome to the club
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 19:30

I wouldn't worry about it. Many including me wear safety goggles when cutting and grinding metals. It's a good practice. Sometimes I even wear an apron when doing this.

I try not to do this in public view, however.

[Edited on 17-5-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 19:32

Could be a bit nervewracking for sure. I would take a sec to update the notebook and maybe leave a few pages relevant to your aims and process open on the compy. Ya know just incase, it never hurts. A quick reference to your positive intents. Tidy up the work space perhaps, leaving out only things relevant to the process. Document your train of thought on notes not in the book.

not 100% relevant, but : I've wandered around my house a few times while suited up for sanding drywall, didn't look good. Tyvec disposable jump suit, respirator with replaceable cartridges, gloves and a full face shield... It's nice not to get the dust all over your face and hair. Had me spooked a bit when I realized my neighbors were outside, visible from my big front windows I was passing repeatedly. But the cops in my neighborhood probably would have stopped.. the area has a less than sparkling reputation for meth addicts/cooks. Well, more the county than my town, but still. It was about two years ago, while re-texturing my son's room before his birth, and no one has stopped in asking. Also I could have shown them the room in progress. Came out really well, the texture that is, a nice light faux plaster look :)

Best of luck, hope it turns out the officer is a good judge of character, and realized you were of no harm.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 08:14

My father always forced me to wear safety googles when I weed whacked mowed the lawn or anything like that. He was always big into eye safety and has prescription safety glasses for when he does projects around the house (hes a handy man not a chemist lol) so I would like to think a lot of people grew up like that so it is pretty normal.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 08:30

I always wear ear protection when mowing the lawn, the ear muff type. My son does too. I used to wear steel-toed shoes which I think is very wise when mowing.

I have a friend who would wear a hard hat whenever working with tree branches, etc, in his yard. In some cases it seemed overkill to me. He had a job as a safety engineer.

My uncle the farmer would remove the safety shrouds from his new farm equipment. They got in the way of the twice daily lubrication schedule and other maintenance.

I don't get up on the roof anymore or go under the house - my son does those tasks.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 09:40

What does "everything" mean?

I am frequently outside with nitrile gloves, goggles, and particulate mask while spraying and cleaning something. In fact, the other day while cutting the grass something was shot out of the lawn mower, and somehow it hit me in the eye. Very painful! Tears, jumping up and down--the whole charade. I ended up going inside and putting on my goggles to finish cutting the grass.

[Edited on 20-5-2015 by Loptr]
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 11:55

Considering I get hay fever so easily, I really should wear my respirator when mowing or weed wacking. Just it gets so freaking hot in the summer... Often over 110'F during the peak. Which starts soon enough and goes unfilled Sep.

But with all the power tools and drywall work, safety goggles are a permanent fixture on my head. Often tucked on top my hat or holding my hair back. Gloves are usually not far away, or hanging from a pocket while not worn. rather fond of the nitrile dipped spandex type gloves, excellent grip, feel and wear properties. Almost indistinguishible from 100% nitrile gloves if you are more than 20' away. So I guess "everything" would need a bit more definition, as Loptr pointed out.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 13:19

He secretly means he was outside in a gas mask and Tyvec suit in a holding a 5L RBF that was smoking we all know this ;)

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 13:28

You were not supposed to say that.

It's supposed to be a Secret, along with the spandex underwear.

Go To Top