Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Radio interview
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 12:59
Radio interview

Next Saturday I will have an interview with a reporter from one of the Dutch national broadcast organisations. It is a medium size organisation (for Dutch people: Wereldomroep).

A program is made about amateur scientists, 4 persons are interviewed about their science activities, what drives those people, and the legal and societal issues, which pop up while performing their amateur science. These interviews will be broadcast on national radio.

I will emphasize on why I like doing home chemistry experiments, and I also will elaborate on safety issues, and societal issues, such as fear for chemistry experimentation, fear of poisonous and explosive reagents and fear of terrorism and accidents. I'm really looking forward and I hope that the interview will be good. It will not be a life event, so some editing afterwards and reviewing the program before broadcasting still are possible.

I see this as a good opportunity to make a good and positive story about hobby chemistry.

In the same program, also a hobby archeologist, a mad scientist with very unorthodox ideas and a fourth person (I do not know yet what type of person that is) are interviewed. The hobby archeologist also has a lot of societal issues, such as whether they are allowed to dig up things at certain places, what to do with some real interesting findings, may these be sold?

I will keep you informed about how things are going. I thought it is good to write about that over here. Sometimes it is nice to also have positive and good stories about home chemistry, and it even is better if one of us can participate in this.

[Edited on 17-7-06 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 13:34

A good idea to keep in mind during an interview for the newspaper or television is that they can edit anything you say, even things you may say in jest or in confidence, and make you sound very, how to put this delicately; entertaining. With that in mind you might ask for permission to review what they put on the air, with the right to veto any video released. At the very least you might ask for a list of questions that are to be asked, otherwise they can ask all sorts of outrageous things, and there you are squirming like a worm on a hook with the cameras rolling. If they stray from the agreed on questions you can just say that wasn't what we agreed to talk about. Think of all the controversial things they could ask you, and you can see where I'm going with this. They don't always have your best interests in mind.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 13:36

Great to hear that! Any chance of getting ahold of an english version of what went on?

EDIT: Mr.Wizard, sure that could happen, but from the sound of it is a bit more positive....I hope..

[Edited on 17-7-2006 by rogue chemist]

Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 14:15

I don't want to take the fun or positive nature out of woelen's interview. But... having been interviewed a few times myself, these simple precautions should be kept in mind. ;)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 18-7-2006 at 00:43

Indeed, I will be careful, but I know previous work of this reporter.
She makes somewhat alternative programs about culture and science, which definitely are not meant for the big masses and certainly are not meant to be brainiac-like sensation stuff.

Also, the program is not life, so I can review the recordings before broadcast, and I certainly will ask her for an opportunity to listen to it before it goes on the air.

The program will be in Dutch, so unfortunately it does not make sense to make an MP3 of it and post it here. After broadcast of the program, I will try to make a summary and post that over here.

[Edited on 18-7-06 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top